Gmail push doesnt work on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Jul 2, 2010.

1. bobright macrumors 601

how do you guys get push mail with Gmail?

is using microsoft exchange the only workaround? if i use the gmail setup under mail accounts push doesnt work

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Exchange is the only way to get push e-mail with Gmail. Otherwise you're stuck with periodic fetches.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) As was said, Exchange is 1 option.

2) The other choice is the free app named 'Boxcar.' It sends you a push notice instantly when you get G-Mail. So you set Mail to manual IMAP fetch and then let Boxcar send you the push notices instead. When you see that message, you go check mail and it downloads your message at that point.

I use Boxcar instead of Exchange because I like the pop-up message AND I can set it to play a sound from 7 AM to 11 PM and then not play sounds during the night. I really, really enjoy that feature.

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Would this conserve battery life as Mail is set to manual, or is it the same as we need "push" still on?? thx guys

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can promise you that it's better than having G-Mail and boxcar both on Push. That's why I turn off e-mail push...so they're not both pushing.

But I don't really know if there's a difference between switching from only g-mail pushing to only Boxcar pushing.

I'm guessing it's an even trade? But I don't know. All I know is that it's worked find for me.

* Extra Fact: I say "manual" because that's kind of what I suggest, but honestly I have mine set to 1 hour fetch. I consider that an extra backup in case Boxcar misses one...I know it'll pop up down there eventually. Also, when I wake up in the morning I have badges for the messages that came in while Boxcar was set to 'silent.'

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've been using the gmail "exchange" method for years on my iPhones and its worked absolutely great.
    The calendars, the contacts, email, etc. Pretty much does everything I need. And it doesn't seem to run the batter any more or less than an other push app. :apple: