Gmail - Push Email

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by photogpab, Sep 21, 2012.

1. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

I just added my gmail account to my iPhone and I set 'Fetch New Data' to 'Push'. But it's not pushing. When someone sends me an email I don't get the alert. Only when I manually open the mail app does it download all my unread messages.

Help? Am I doing something wrong?

----------

Did a little extra research and seems I needed to use the 'Microsoft exchange' setting instead of 'gmail' for push to actually work. Weird.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, you figured it out. Nothing new for iOS 6 , that has been the way to always get "PUSH" gmail. IMAP is the second best option.

3. Doc. Caliban macrumors member

The Exchange workaround comes at a price ... missing messages, no flagging, etc.

It's ridiculous that there has to be a workaround. We're over a decade into the 21st century, and we're supposed to believe that two of the biggest players in the industry can't get a simple client-server email feature to work?

This doesn't work because someone's marketing department doesn't want it to work. Period.

4. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

5. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Alternatively, fetch works as well. :)

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm still waiting for them to add multiple account support.

8. Abba 701 macrumors regular

A little off topic buts have noticed that the Push Gmail iPhone app has disappeared from the App Store.And not only that it will not restore the appeven if you had it on an icloud backup.Anyone know why this is?