Gmail Push Notifications...(greiving my Blackberry)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eddietheteddy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. eddietheteddy macrumors newbie

I am 36 years old and never used an Apply product prior to yesterday. I'm trying to get my new iPhone 4, software version 4.2.6, to simply do push email from Gmail and importantly, give me a notification when I get a new message in my inbox.

After researching the issue I realized that this issue has been much discussed but doesn't seem to me to be clearly resolved. I was thrilled to learn that Google mobile apps had a notification feature. Installed Google mobile apps and have both gmail and calendar notifications set to "on" in settings but I am still not getting notifications :mad: when I get a new email.

I would like to get both a visual and audio notification as soon as I receive a new e-mail as it is critical for my business. Apologies for rehashing this topic but can't seem to find a resolution. -ETT

2. eddietheteddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response-

will setting up Google Sync then allow me to receive notifications?

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

4. eddietheteddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Notifications

I installed Google Sync and restarted - but I'm still not getting notifications when a new e-mail comes in - what type of notification do you get - pop up? sound? both? what sound? thanks!

5. chr macrumors regular

Sound. You also get a red badge with a # (# of unread messages) on your mail icon.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Myself put gmail on manual and get a app like mail notifier or such. it will use push to let you know when something comes in with your choice of sounds.
    This saves quite a bit in batteries over using gmail push.

7. eddietheteddy thread starter macrumors newbie

App

Steve, do you know what a good application for this is?

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

mail notifier is one. but there are several. do a search for main notifier finding the others takes a little more work. bad part of mail notifier is you have to pay a subscription for it now.

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I would go this route if push is an absolute necessity for you. Using the true push settings on my iPhone 4 for a couple of weeks was using roughly 12-15% of my battery per hour (I get a ton of work related emails). It absolutely killed my battery. With Google set up as "fetch" instead (every 15 minutes), I only use about 20-25% of my battery before lunch (I take it off the charger every morning around 6:30). Push gMail on the iPhone 4 just drains too much battery.

10. bigreed macrumors newbie

Set it up as an exchange account and it works perfectly- alerts you every time and also syncs your calendar and contacts... I'm good all day with battery too and get a hundred emails. A lot of the battery thing has to do with what other apps you leave open in the background. I try and keep that all tidy.

11. kicko macrumors 65816

agreed, i dont believe it uses too much battery and beisdes you can sync you contacts and calendar too ;)

12. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Setting up as an Exchange account is the "true push" method I mentioned above that was using 12-15% of my battery every hour (roughly). It's always been a battery hog.

13. BMJT macrumors regular

14. bigreed macrumors newbie

I guess everyone's phone is different but mine lasts more than 24 with push on. It's at 57% now and I've had music on for part of the day as well. I actually have google pushing, my work exchange pushing and mobileme pushing. No battery problems at all. Like I said though I make sure to close some of the other battery hog apps.

It'd be smooth if you could only push the items in your priority inbox. That'd be the ultimate.

15. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Mine has no more than 3 background apps running at a time (phone, mail, and sms). Still kills battery. According to many users on here, it's always been this way for people.

16. bigreed macrumors newbie

Maybe I just got lucky on the battery. I will say that mine is on wifi most of the day which I'm sure is less battery intensive.

17. profets macrumors 68040

I guess I got lucky as well. Honestly been using Gmail setup using activesync on my iPhone and a few others I know. Really never been an issue in terms of battery life.

18. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

that's why I recommend mail notifier or such. gives you push notification without the battery loss.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I do not lose that much battery per hour unless I'm streaming video or using gps navigation. I lose ~1% battery per 3 hours of idle time with gmail and MobileMe both pushing (gmail set up as exchange), wifi on, BT on but not connected, and 3G on. And that's receiving emails periodically.

However, if I leave beejive running in the background, I'll lose over 50% overnight.

20. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

But is your phone using wifi for data primarily, or 3G (you stated 3G was "on")? Using 3G will hit your battery a lot harder while set up as an Exchange account versus wifi. My numbers above (which go along with some other battery usage numbers reported in the forums here) are on 3G exclusively.

21. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I have Gmail set up as a push via the Exchange method described by Google, and I don't have any severe battery drain. I'm on 4.2.6 (Verizon). Every time I set my phone down, no matter how many e-mails I receive, it is always at the same battery percentage when I pick it back up. Even after a couple hours or so. It's incredible. Battery really only goes down when I'm actually using it.

22. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Does an iphone 4 make any difference?

I get a full day at work with exchange and have 75% left when I come home. I have like 4 gmail exchange accounts too :eek:

23. chr macrumors regular

Push mail doesn't kill my battery at all--if you're that concerned though, use Boxcar.