GMAIL - Push options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lexxsf, Jul 15, 2008.

1. lexxsf macrumors newbie

I have been trying to figure out a way to get my gmail to push to my iPhone and stay in sync. I know there are workarounds right now to get gmail to push to your phone and all of them basically require forwarding your Gmail to a mobileme.com account or another exchange service (4Smartphone.net). But the problem with this then is when you read or delete an email on your iPhone, this is not reflected on your home computer or on gmail.com.

Has anyone found any kind of exchange service (paid or free) that will basically sync with your gmail service via IMAP and push the mail to your iPhone?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

What I do is forward my Gmail to my MobileMe account and set it to archive the emails. Then every couple days, I log into Gmail or through Mail and I mark the messages in my All Mail folder as read. It's not ideal but it's simple and it works.

4. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I don't have my iPhone yet (will within the week), but at the moment have been TRYING to set this up but it ain't working. The majority of the emails don't show up in my inbox...

Also, if you use Filters, you can make it automatically mark forwarded emails as read.

5. admiralawesome1 macrumors member

What about mail sent from your iPhone?

I'm thinking about using it with my Google Apps mail account (mydomain.com). Any glitches there?

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

7. techiegrrl macrumors newbie

Yeah but this is kind of creepy from emoze's website:

In order to provide the emoze Software, emoze gathers and processes the following information:

* Register Information
    * User Profile
    * Personal Data of Friends
    * Feedback Information
    * Passive Information
    * E-mail Addresses
    * Mobile Numbers

In addition to the above mentioned information and in order to provide you with the Service, emoze shall collect and process the following information:

* Subscriber Information
    * Traffic Data

8. mkitchen macrumors member

They seem to explain the purpose of each and state that they do not share or sell information. It seems they are just legally covering their butts. Personal Data of friends seems to be for the sole purpose of invitations to their service that you would send out.

9. cecemf macrumors regular

cecemf

That's our only hope is that GMAIL use push-imap, but when you see the time we had to wait to see IMAP coming can you imagine p-imap.

Excepte if it's a simple update

10. techiegrrl macrumors newbie

Do these instructions not work for you or not give you what you want?

http://andrewpowell.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/imap-push-gmail-for-iphone/

11. View macrumors regular

12. amro macrumors 6502

13. MisterBlister macrumors newbie

System Seven

I have been using System SEVEN for my Windows phone for a year or so, they have a pretty solid beta - I wonder if there's anything similar for the iPhone in development?

14. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

The mail app allows you to send as your Gmail account, same as mail on a mac. I just have both Gmail and MobileMe as active accounts but I don't get the mail twice since Gmail just archives it.

Don't know about Google Apps

15. lexxsf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. It doesn't appear that any of these solutions will work. Emoze looks like its POP3 only so that means no IMAP synchronization. The other options all revolve around forwarding your gmail to mobileme or another provider which means your email isn't accurately reflected on your other devices or computers, meaning the email is read on my iPhone but not reflected on my iMac or Macbook.

I have found something that looks like it could be it but it doesn't seem to be functioning properly on iPhones. mobipush.com basically checks your IMAP or POP3 email for you and then pushes it down to you. The site seems a little shady and I don't see a whole lot of feedback on it.

16. mkitchen macrumors member

Yeah, no dice here either. I'm not willing to pay $100 a year for push e-mail (the only service i would currently use in MobileMe) - but there seems to be no other options.

17. lexxsf thread starter macrumors newbie

I am very willing to pay money for an exchange service but it has to be able to use and sync my gmail. I think for now, unfortunately, my best bet is just to have it forward to my mobileme account. Definitely not ideal but I guess it will have to do for now.