Gmail push restored in iOS11?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by whsbuss, Jun 6, 2017.

1. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Haven't tried this but its been reported on 9to5mac.com - has anyone confirmed this?

2. s2mike macrumors 6502

Not working for me. Had someone send me some test emails and I got the notification immediately from the Gmail app and nothing from the stock Mail app.

3. youslippin macrumors member

confirmed! sent about 20 test emails, got notified of them right away

4. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Did you have the gmail account already added? You may want to try to delete and add the account in mail again.

5. s2mike macrumors 6502

Yeah it was already added. I’ll give that a try, I guess.

6. youslippin macrumors member

OK! This ONLY works when you are on POWER & WIFI!!! if you are mobile, it reverts to a fetch schedule :-/

7. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Is the fetch schedule set to automatic?

8. youslippin macrumors member

theres an automatic setting but it only works when you are on power & wifi

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am on LTE, and I am getting Gmail right way with Apple Mail.

10. youslippin macrumors member

are you plugged into the charger? I tested.. for me it only comes in right away if I am on power & wifi.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am not plugged in. And as mentioned, I am on LTE. I don't use wifi, unless I want to airdrop a file or complete an iOS update.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

hmmm, i've been away from the stock email app for a while since they got rid of this. currently liking the app "email".

13. bgro macrumors 6502a

deleting and adding back gmail account in settings restored push for me. calendars and contacts also sync across devices again too

14. s2mike macrumors 6502

After deleting my gmail account and then re-adding it, everything seems to be working.

I’m on LTE and not charging the phone, and I’m getting my emails “pushed.”

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It’s interesting that push is working after removing the account and adding it back in. There is no push option for the Gmail account but I did test it and works instantly. Within 5 seconds.

16. pratax2 macrumors member

I don't understand. I believed that google was the one who removed this feature, not Apple. Btw, Hotmail has push. Why does it appear on a new iOS release if it depends on google?

17. stulaw11 Suspended

It's a bit convoluted of a story. Hotmail/outlook runs of Microsoft Exchange backend. Google used to license this from Microsoft as well as that was the push setup Gmail had. They likely decided they couldnt afford to give it away free while paying Microsoft so canned push for everything but paid Google Apps accounts.

Google uses its own protocol IMAP IDLE which is a mix of IMAP and Exchange (sort of, rough idea) for Gmail. So it's possible Apple adopted the protocol into its mail app although Im not counting on that with their battles.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

IMAP IDLE isn't Google's protocol. IDLE is just a feature in the IMAP protocol that allows the client to tell the server it's open to accepting real-time notifications. The drawback of IDLE is that it maintains an open connection. It can have an impact on your battery depending on the amount of connections using IDLE and how many messages you're getting. Apple has supported IMAP IDLE in Mail for macOS since at LEAST Lion (probably earlier, Lion was just my first macOS where I used their Mail app), but omitted it from iOS, most likely due to battery concerns.

Based on the description, they enabled the IDLE command to function on IMAP servers when charging and on Wi-Fi, due to battery concerns. Based on the description of how "Automatic" works, I'm going to go ahead and say that getting push notifications for Gmail, through Apple Mail, at any point when NOT connected to a power source and on Wi-Fi is a BUG.

19. s2mike macrumors 6502

Allowing Gmail to push only when charging and connected to wifi would be really dumb.

All or nothing.

20. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I agree. And besides its been reported that it works when on battery and non-Wifi

21. s2mike macrumors 6502

How is this thread not 20+ pages by now? This is HUGE news for a lot of people.

22. Morac macrumors 65816

Morac

Does this also work for Yahoo Mail? Yahoo disabled push in iOS back in February. Only fetch is an option. Based on this post it looks like Yahoo does not support IDLE, so I'm guessing no.

23. whsbuss thread starter macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Probably because gmail users gave up long ago with the Apple mail app. I'm hoping this stays in the official release.

24. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

The Apple Mail app in iOS is atrocious in general, not just for Gmail. I don't understand why it's not more like the macOS app. They should make it more like Spark.