gmail push slow all the time...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whyrichard, Apr 13, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

Been holding off posting because i thought google might just be having a temporary slowdown...

my gmail push on my phone is dead slow. it doesn't push, i have to use another application to get instant notifications (gpush). it doesn't actually push.

but worst, when i open the mail app to open a new mail message, it takes about 20-30 seconds to download and open a new message! every time! on wifi!

any solutions?

thanks,

r.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Gmail on my laptop browser has been slower today as well.

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

4. btcutter macrumors 6502

Gmail has push to iPhone? Through EXCHANGE account?

I just forward my Gmail to MobileMe....pristo! PUSH:D

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Gmail doesn't push to the iPhone. Only MobileMe does. When you get emails is going to depend on the polling interval you've set up in email settings.

Off topic but related: I am really liking PostBox on my Macbook. Apparently it keeps nailed-up IMAP connections, rather than polling. Is there some "push" capability IMAP (if the connection is maintained)? Apparently so, because I can send mail from my iPhone and it shows up INSTANTLY in Postbox on the Macbook! Does Thunderbird (which Postbox is based on) do this as well? FWIW, I use Rackspace Mail as my IMAP provider.

6. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Google most certainly does push to the iPhone, you just need to set it up using Exchange instead of the Gmail option.

OP: I get messages pushed to my iPhone and iPad before they show up in my browser, so no issues for me.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Like fishkorp mentioned, you can get Gmail pushed to an iPhone using exchange activesync.

Gmail also supports imap push using IMAP_IDLE, but the iPhone does not support it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I never had a whole lot of success using G-Mail through Exchange. It never quite worked right.

So I went back to IMAP and set it to check manually. I use the app named "Boxcar" to send me a push notification when I get new G-Mail. When it sends me a note, I check my mail.

It's FAR faster and more reliable than Exchange G-Mail ever was.

10. jtara macrumors 65816

Mea culpa. This seems to answer the OP's question.

Thanks. I assume this is how Postbox is getting my emails instantly.

Just looked this up. Apparently, this feature is actually called Push-IMAP or P-IMAP, and can use IMAP_IDLE as one of three possible mechanisms for notification. (The other two are SMS and WAP Push).

There's a short Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-IMAP

I think Postbox implemented this recently (or maybe Rackspace Mail), since I hadn't noticed this until very recently.

Oh, there's a list of clients that support this here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE

It includes Thunderbird (and, thus, Postbox.)