Gmail push to Mail app

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by royinla14, Nov 9, 2017.

1. royinla14 macrumors 6502

any chance this will ever come back? Never understood why it’s not functioning anymore but really like the native mail app and hate that I can’t use it because there’s no push support

2. yanki01, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I think there was a brief time it did come back. can't remember when but went away. I doubt it. I've since moved on to using Edison Mail and it works perfectly for me and what I use it for.

..and personally I never liked the Gmail app.

here's Email - Edison Mail by Edison Software Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/email-edison-mail/id922793622?mt=8

3. royinla14 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! going to try it out

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

You should ask Google - they are the ones that disabled it from their end

5. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Android is from Google, so it should definitely work there.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Google disabled push on iOS devices quite a while back do to the associated server cost since gmails and iPhones are so popular. I believe iCloud is the same way on Android (no native push) although I could be wrong. Its unlikely we will every see native push support from gmail again.

Personally I would avoid an app that emulates push services especially if it involves you divulging login criteria to them. They could be the most honest company ever but how good is their security?

I would recommend setting fetch to the lowest setting. Or if gmail emails are highly time sensitive you could use the gmail app which will leverage Apples push notification servers.

8. uandme72 macrumors 6502a

The only problem is that the feature for fetch and notifications for sub-folders / favorited folders are no longer available in iOS 11.x.
    This was available till 10.3.3.
    As a result of which, now any mail received in a favorited folder other than Inbox, are not notified.
    Now if you use any other mail app, they divulge login credentials. While if you use Apple mail, it does not give you notifications.
    WHAT TO DO?