Gmail Push Very Slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whiteshadoww, Oct 6, 2009.

1. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a very slow push service. I noticed this about a week ago.

2. sfditty macrumors regular

It is hit or miss with Google Synch for me, with enough misses for me to drop it completely and go back to IMAP along with a notification app to alert me of new emails. I use PushMail, which is awesome. There are several apps out there now which can push Gmail notifications to your iphone. Last I checked, you can get one for as little as $0.99. PushMail is $2.99 (and IMHO well worth it). I'm unaware of any free apps that offer push notifications for Gmail.

3. sfditty macrumors regular

... and also, using an app to push notifications will use less battery than using ActiveSync (Google Sync in this case), assuming you already have apps which have notifications enabled. There is a single listening thread used for all the apps on your phone which have notifications enabled, but Google Sync uses it's own (as does MobileMe, to my understanding).

4. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Sounds right, but how much do you think it really drains the battery more than the thread for Apple?

5. sfditty macrumors regular

Personally, I haven't seen any battery savings after dumping Google Sync, but I wasn't looking for it either. It may be negligible, it may not. But these aren't just loops using the local processor and memory, they are in frequent, over-the-air communication with the provider servers (notification and Goodle Synch). It can't help to have two running instead of one, but I'm not sure how much it hurts. If I can get the same benefit using one instead of two, I'll use one. I'd like to see a battery comparison though.

6. WeatherGuy macrumors member

It hasn't worked for me since Sunday. I have no idea what the issue is. I switched back to my IMAP account and it seems much more stable. I should note that before Sunday, it was working great.

7. PaulieORF macrumors regular

For me, it's not been right since Saturday. It actually correctly synched once between Saturday afternoon and yesterday afternoon. Like others, I've just gone back to IMAP with 15 minute intervals, much more reliable.

8. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I see. It's physically impossible for it to not drain any extra battery if another thread is running. But that drain could be insignificant. I would test it, but I don't use my phone the same from day-to-day, so it would be skewed otherwise. And I can't just leave my phone go for a few days. :)

9. rush0 macrumors member

Still trying to figure out the reasoning behind one exchange account

10. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Please elaborate?

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I think he means that apple limits you to 1 exchange account. so if you already have your work exchange account set up you cannot add another one.

I tried Google sync this weekend but it was very unstable, i wasn't getting messages, then it would last all day syncing. I just gave up and went back to IMAP. I'll try it again when they work out the kinks.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I fixed that for you.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995986(EXCHG.65).aspx

A couple down from the top it mentions it. Its the way MS built the protocol.

13. bozzykid macrumors 68020

That isn't for the client side though (as there is no hard limit there). My guess is there are several issues. One, the battery life could certainly drain much faster. And, syncing contacts and the calendar to multiple exchange servers could result in some complex sync issues.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have heard the protocol limits it. So if you want to use activesync you can only have one exchange connection. The FAQ is for the Activesync protocol yet it still states a device can only sync with one exchange account.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid43_gci1265019,00.html

Either way its not an apple issue. As not one device can do this yet. That I know of at least.

15. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I have found push email with gmail to be lightening fast, no issues at all.

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

17. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Hmmm... I'm starting to think there's a problem with my Gmail account and Google Sync. I set Gogole Sync up on my iPhone again, put it in push mode. Here's what I noticed. On the first sync, it will pull down all of the mail that is currently in my inbox. With the mail app open on my iPhone, I send an email to my Gmail account. I see it arrive in my inbox on my web browser on my computer, at the same time the mail app checks for new mail, but comes up with nothing new. I send some more messages, and each time I do, my iPhone checks for new mail nearly 2 or 3 seconds afterwards, but never pulling down any new email. It behaves the same way even if I hit the check mail button on my own in the mail app. So there is my problem. My iPhone is getting the signal to check for mail via ActiveSync, but it looks like Google Sync just no longer works on my iPhone. Anyone know any effective way to contact someone at Google who could shed some light on this, or should I go through the normal avenues with Gmail help?

18. dquattlebum macrumors member

I'm having pretty much the same issue.

I've deleted and re-added the Gmail account under ExchangeActive Sync. When it first syncs up it will sync the messages in the inbox that are up to 3days old, which is fine, but after that it never gets any new mail sent to it.

I can send mail from the iphone no problem, sends out super quick but it will not 'sync' new mail messages at all.

If I delete the gmail ActiveSync connection off the iphone and re set it up it will sync the mail.

I tested setting up my work email on the phone and it works just fine, like it should.

its an iPhone 2G running 3.1 firmware...

19. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It's gone down at least once a day for me. Whenever it goes down, I go to settings and reset network. It always works again after the phone restarts (until next time).

20. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Mine is perfect. Always. I get notification emails on my phone from gmail about PMs on here before I even get them MR.

I usually have about a 2 second delay between when an email hits my desktop Gmail to when it hits my phone. Works like a charm.

21. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It isn't a protocol limit if you are using different servers. Like I said, the real issue is sync'ing to the client side with more than one account is troublesome.

22. PaulieORF macrumors regular

I posted about my problem in the Google Sync forums over at Google. Multiple people have already chimed in that they're having the same exact problem as me. So, I tend to think this is maybe related to accounts that are certain Gmail server(s), which could possibly explain why some people are having no problems at all.

23. vhl71 macrumors regular

It was working fine with my old 2g phone. Today, I got my new 3GS and it doesn't push until i did a network reset. It works fine now.
    I'm not sure whether this will keep reappearing..I hope not..

Anyone else has this issue?

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

With different servers you still can't have more then one activesync connection.

Even when using activesync with a computer you have to do some fancy stuff to get around it. Even then its a work around and isn't perfect.