Gmail Push

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Armen, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I setup my Gmail account last night as an Exchange account through iOS 8's native mail app. (Link below for those who are interested.)

https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/138740?hl=en

What caught me by surprise was that Push was working. Can someone else please try this to verify?

It was my understanding that if you had setup your e-mail in this manner before Google stopped supporting push it would continue to work based on deviceID (or was it based on google account?). I want to verify if it is working just for me or for anyone.

2. kring macrumors regular

kring

I was able to set it up, but it doesn't actually work. None of my email is visible and I can't send mail even though the account verifies and appears to be setup in mail settings.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Did you have your iPhone setup for Exchange before Google stopped supporting it? It doesn't matter if you reinstall iOS or not, it will forever work on that device.

4. kring macrumors regular

kring

iOS7 pulled all capability to use exchange on standard gmail accounts. so even if you had it prior, when you upgraded to iOS7 all your gmail exchange accounts broke and you needed to switch over to the garbage gmail functionality lacking push.

5. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

So it's device based and not account? That means when I upgrade to an iphone 6 I will lose push. darn

----------

Dude, did you read my post at all? I have Gmail setup as Exchange on iOS 8 and push is working. I dont have to use the gmail garbage app.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Not true with iOS 7. The support ended on Google's end of things.

----------

Correct. I lost mine when I upgraded to my 5S.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nothing like that happened with iOS 7. Had it and still have it working in iOS 7 and iOS 8 betas I've tried. Google changed it on their end at one point, unrelated to any iOS version, and new devices activated since that time can't use it anymore.

8. Dominick624 macrumors regular

I just tried this, and it didn't work. Are you actually using a non gmail.com e-mail? Like are you using a work related e-mail that uses google apps? Only google apps accounts such as for school or work allow push notifications on iPhone.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

hasn't worked for me since I went from an iPhone 5 to my current 5S.... and iPad mini to iPad Air.... So it was device dependent but from what I am reading it appears now its shut off altogether and it doesn't matter.:(

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's still there for those who have devices where it was setup before Google stopped it for future users/devices.

11. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I am using my regular personal gmail account.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Ok that makes sense. Either way I'm out lol

13. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

If it has been setup up before and it was working then it doesn't matter. On my iPad 2 gmail push is working fine with iOS 8.

14. bransoj macrumors 6502a

This is all to do with Google turning it off for new devices in Jan 2013 i think it was. Its device specific so any device that was working prior to then will still work now. My iPad 3 and iPhone 5 both work fine despite being upgraded to iOS7 and having various restores etc since then. The only time it will stop working is if i get a new device but it will only stop working on that new device...ie if i change my iPhone 5 for an iPhone 6 it wont work on the new phone but the iPad still would.

15. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Mind-boggling how ppl are still like this ... flashbacks of how humanity was before the internet was born.

16. stoney05 macrumors regular

How to enable Push email support.

1.) Goto: https://login.live.com/

2.) Create an account

3.) Login to Gmail

4.) Forward email to Hotmail/Outlook account

5.) Add Hotmail/Outlook Exchange account to iPhone

6.) Enjoy the Instant/Push email access

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Theoretically same thing could be done by forwarding the email to iCloud as well.

18. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Early 2009 when iOS 3 brought Push Notification services to 3rd party apps, I used this same method which was intro'ed for Boxcar to get GMail, Twitter, Facebook, RSS and etc Push Alerts.

Once Google allowed EAS access to GMail for everyone and iOS 4 allowed multiple EAS slots, I've stopped using Boxcar.

From what I've read, you can actually setup the GMail app to push notifications alerts only, but can't be bothered to return to an old skool method. Fetching does suck, a lot of ppl had left GMail for this very reason.

Funny Story: If you want to read it

All the BB users jabbed at the iPhone users when Facebook officially rolled out their Push Notifications, the fools didn't even realize who invented this technology (Microsoft) and thought it was RIM all this time. Fast forward to the Z10 and BB10 OS launch, the diehards were kicking and screaming once they found out Google has stopped their EAS connection for new users and BB10 was not using BIS anymore (only for BBM), GMail is fetched from now on. Their first bill was through the roof, the Z10 uses normal data transmissions and it's not compressed like BIS.

Attached Files:

19. Hutchball macrumors newbie

Yes it does work on iOS 8. I just re-set up a gmail account and it seems to push almost instantly. Set it up as an exchange account and use m.google.com as server.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm pretty sure it's device dependent as well. I just tried it on my 6+ for kicks and nothing. No email in the folder. I will update this post if anything changes.

21. theman510 macrumors 6502

22. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

It is device dependent. The last device that the service was last used on is the only device that the server will recognize. Change the device, lose the service. This happened to me when I got my iPhone 5. I lost the ability to use gmail push after I ditched my 4.

23. rioren macrumors newbie

This Gmail push thing is really a pain

I don't know how you guys think but as a company as great as google, pulling down the push service and prompt a junk app is really a ***** move..

I mean I'm ok if you want me to use your own app to have push, i'm not against it. PLEASE release a REAL app. I cannot stand the fact that each time I fire up the google mail app, I'm waiting the webpage to load.

I know google is pushing so hard for the web over app trend. But you guys are successfully making me hate web.

24. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Google stopped push for iPhones to encourage you to switch to android. It did not work in my family. We changed email to outlook and forwarded to outlook email.

It was a pain and left me with a bad taste for google. Wish apple had their own push service for email.

25. platoaddict macrumors newbie

You're being facetious, right? iCloud is push.