Gmail Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Futhark, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Futhark, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I've setup an email address for my 10 year old daughter as I have purchased her a Kindle and she needed an Amazon account of her own to purchase books.

My question is this, I would like to add her gmail account to my iPhone to monitor the emails coming through to her and wanted to use the Microsoft Exchange setup so they get pushed to me instantly.

If I do this will the email still be available for her on the Gmail Website? And if so does it show up as being read?

Many Thanks

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yes email will still show up on gmail site. And it will show as being read.

3. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Once I check the email on my iPhone can I delete it leaving it still there for her to read?

I don't want to be deleting mail unread by her

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

When I delete mail on my iPhone it doesn't delete it from my inbox on Gmail.

5. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

I haven't used multiple accounts, but I think it'd be easier for you to have those 2 accounts linked with Mail and when you read her mail, you just mark it as Unread afterwards (assuming Gmail will copy that action).

Then if you no longer wish to see her email in your inbox, you just select your account in Mail and switch between them when you need to.

6. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Instead of adding her account to your phone you can log in on the gmail website and set up email forwarding. Forward all the mail sent to her email address to your address and choose the option to "keep forwarded mail as new" or "Keep forwarded mail in Inbox" (I forget the exact wording).

Next, create a folder/label in your email inbox and filter all the messages sent to her email address to be delivered to that special folder.

7. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yes this makes perfect sense :D

Thank You !!!

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If it's an exchange acct. I am almost certain it will delete from her gmail if you delete from iphone. At least that's the way my comcast business acct. works on exchange.

Just curious...It sounds like you want to read your daughters emails without her knowledge. And I don't know how old she is, but why would you want to invade her privacy like that? It's one thing to protect your child (I know all about it. I have 3 girls 16, 5, & 6 mo) but to read personal emails to your daughters acct. without her knowing is just wrong. Kids need their privacy and there will for sure be things in there that you just don't want to read about even though they are harmless. Kids will be kids. Depending on age,they will talk about sex, boys, partys, etc. Things that aren't necessarily bad, but just stupid things kids talk about & do no matter how protective you are. Just growing up kinda stuff...And I know It's really none of my business but I think you should talk to your daughter rather then spy on her emails without her knowledge. It's just not right. EVERYONE deserves some level of privacy. Or at least let her know you will have access to the acct. any time you want. I can tell you it will most likely not end up good if you monitor her email acct. without her knowledge.

9. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Some valid points here if i was being a nosy father invading privacy. I have purchased my 10 year old daughter a Kindle which I will be topping up via gift cards. The emails coming through to me will be monitoring what books she buys and how much she has spent and she is aware I can do this as I feel as a parent I should be doing.

As for leaving the emails showing as unread, I very much doubt my daughter will be telling anyone she has email never mind using it to communicate with BUT if she does and an email was sent to her and next time she logged in and it was shown read she may not get to read it as she will think its one she's already read.

As for me not wanting to read her personal emails I may setup filtering so I only get forwarded the ones from Amazon.

Thanks for your input anyway.

10. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

I'm sure the OP is doing what he feels is necessary. I can't speak as a father but as an older brother (without a father in the house) I can tell you that young girls nowadays will get used to the idea of "their own privacy" if you let them enjoy this freedom without proper discipline.

As far as reading on the Kindle, emails should be harmless. But in my experience, teenagers need to be limited from extensive use of todays technology - until they have matured and can comprehend what they need to get by, or what they don't need at all.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Deleting on Gmail will not delete from iPhone when setup as Exchange. Gmail instead removes the Inbox label from it and it is then put in All Mail instead of trash.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

10 years old is a whole different ball game. I am totally in agreement on this one. For some reason I was picturing a 16-17 year old (which is still none of my business). I have a 16 (17 in 2 weeks) year old daughter who is a really good kid. BUT if she had an email acct. that I was monitoring without her knowledge, and even if during the time I was monitoring, not one email came through, she would have an absolute fit. But she kinda knows that I respect her privacy enough to never do that (which would make it all the worse if I did). But a 10 year old is an entire different story. You still got a nice 3-4 years left before the real worrying sets in. lol...Enjoy!

13. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Rubbish. I have a 10 (11 in 1 week) year old daughter and I set her up a GMail account for her computer, iPod Touch etc. I have absolutely no reason at all to go monitoring her e-mail, especially behind her back. Why? It's because I have explained to her what the internet is all about, social networking, how it is used/abused, how I have secured things behind a firewall, and how details get used for spamming etc. She knows to come to me if she gets anything upsetting or whatever in her inbox because she is sensible, taught by a sensible parent, unlike some on here who sound like they go around checking their daughters diaries and secret cupboards... I suppose it's OK to go checking the sent mail to check up on who she was contacting too, right? :rolleyes:

I think it's disgusting that so-called "responsible" parents come on here and admit to monitoring their kids e-mail without them knowing. Backing out with crap like, "I may only forward Amazon" e-mails etc. is a cowards way out of a situation they regret creating in the first place.

14. nmork macrumors regular

I'm all for privacy and I completely agree with the notion that parents should not be reading their kids' personal emails at all.

At the same time, however, if I had a 10 year old daughter and gave her the ability to purchase books (or anything, for that matter) using my money without my presence, I'd like to at least get cc'd on the purchase confirmation emails simply because I like to keep track of my money. Really, I'd probably just ask her to let me know herself before buying anything and not pay REALLY close attention to the e-mails, but I'd like to have them just in case anything happens like the account getting hijacked, etc.

(for the record, I'm just defending the situation -- not the OP personally because I get the feeling his story is bs, but that's not the point of my post)

15. Futhark, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

lmao I can't believe some of the BS I'm reading here. A harmless question turned on its head.

Thanks Guys, :( I could have asked the question without going into any personal detail but I thought I'd get the best advice by doing so and this is what I get :(

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Lol! It is really funny!..Sad really, but still funny. I don't agree with checking my daughters emails behind her back, for whatever reason, but that is just me & my situatution. I am sure that their are circumstances where it might be necessary to do so in order to protect your child. In which case, you do what you have to do in order to ensure their safety. That is why in my original post, I made it clear that it was really none of my business. I was simply offering my point of view from my situation.

As for the nasty remarks, I'll forward you a few PM's from other members to fill you in and once you read them, you will understand completely.

17. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Thanks my friend :)

18. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I don't care how many kids someone has, or how much parenting expertise one purports to possess... never tell another parent how to raise their kids. You just come off all sanctimonious.

Parenting is not a "one size fits all" affair. Different kids need different boundaries.