iPad Gmail question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nixiemaiden, Jul 11, 2013.

1. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I am putting this here because this issue happened last night specifically to my iPad and my iPhone was working fine.

I have a gmail account set up using the "gmail" setting in the mail app. Last night I sent like 4 emails out and each time heard the swoosh like it went and everything seemed fine. One of these emails was important and I called the person and found out they never received it.

I go to the mail app and gmail keeps throwing errors that imap.gmail.com is not responding. I leave everything alone because it looks like at the bottom, it is still trying to send the email. The issue is I can not find the email anywhere. It isn't in any folders and I don't know how to access the info. Seems like no big deal but I was sending an email with information from someone I was on the phone with and it was the only place I put the info.

Now this morning, gmail is working again but all of the e-mails I sent last night while it was down seem to have vanished. I don't have any outbox folders showing and have no idea where they could be. Does anyone know where they are or if there is anything I can do to get them back?

2. tazz3 macrumors regular

I have the gmail app fom the App Store and its fine.
    Just delete the app and redown load it...

3. X5-599 macrumors regular

So, it doesn't even show up in the Sent Mail or Drafts folder? Have you tried looking for it via the web interface? Other than that; I got nothing. Sorry.

4. nixiemaiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not using the gmail app...I am using the mail app that came on my iPad and that has my gmail account set up as an imap account.

I did check every single place logged into the gmail web interface and I don't think the e-mails ever got to gmail. I think they are somehow stuck in the mail app in neverland.

I got all of the info I needed and was able to send a new email but just still kind of curious where the emails went or if this has happened to anyone else.

I was actually thinking back and it has happened with my Exchange account before as well. I had the date set incorrectly so it couldn't make the connection but it acted like the e-mail sent by making the woosh sound. When I got the date issue fixed, it connected, but the email was already gone and it was never sent. I couldn't find anything in my outbox or other folders that time either.

I wonder if there is just an issue with the mail app if the server it is trying to get to doesn't return a response. I know if my password is invalid, I am able to fix my password and the email sends almost immediately...however in both of these scenarios where I had the issue, the server never responded.

5. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

The IMAP Server that external clients use to communicate with gmail went down - http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/0...cting-many-users-of-the-google-email-service/

6. bluespark macrumors 65816

I think Mattstkc nailed it. There are reports of this sort of thing all over the web as a result of the Gmail server outage. Chances are that they still have your e-mails, though you may have to use Google's web interface to find them.