Gmail question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michaelgtrusa, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I succsessfully set up a gmail account in mac mail, but when I deleted my .mac moble me account that I never set up, my gmail account was gone! Why? Now the whole thing is screwed up and it's asking for a password.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Did you forget your gmail password?

If not, just re-enter your password. Otherwise, you will need to log into gmail and go through the lost password procedure, then re-enter your password.

3. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I got it back, But it's still asking for a .mac password my name is above the gmail letters in mail with a twirling icon for some reason.

4. RoninXI macrumors regular

I would delete the plist and set it up with gmail from scratch. It will just have to download the email again. As long as you have it set up as IMAP you don't lose anything.
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

5. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Directly above my gmail account in mail, my name appears for some reason. Next to my name to the right is a swirling symbol, I guess it's searching for something an the it tells me, The mobile me imac sever mail.mac.com rejected the password for my name! This didn't happen at first until i tried to delete mobile me, which came back on it's own anyway. Odd.

6. RoninXI macrumors regular

That means it is trying to find the mobile me account instead of gmail. Are you sure you didn't name the mobile me account Gmail and vise versa? I would still just clear the plist it is way easier than messing with a broken account when you can't seem to get rid of it.

7. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

No I don't think so I named the mobile me acc gmail, it shows up in mail and gmail is working on it's own but some thing else is trying to run.

Are you saying I should just start over? Delete this file? but will it get rid of this problem and is it possible to get rid of the dead mobile me acc?

8. RoninXI macrumors regular

ya that file holds your mail accounts so if you chuck it and restart mail it will give you the first screen asking you to set up an email. Remeber Gmail has IMAP so don't use the auto setup since it tries to set it up with POP3. Do it manually and when you make a change in mail it does the same on the server it saves you the work doing all those settings with folders etc...

9. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Thanks member. I was told that gmail only works with pop3, at least that's what has been said on youtube.

10. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Gmail is set up as pop3.

11. RoninXI macrumors regular

If you have important email stored on your Mac then look on the site and see if they are there first so you don't lose anything. If they are missing on the site then go to ~/Library/Mail and backup that folder. Your email is in there. If you are not missing anything on the server you are set. Setting up IMAP is nice since it syncs with the server.

12. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It didn't give me the first screen! It gave me the mail screen and asked me if I want to see what's new in mail! Should I put the file back?

13. RoninXI macrumors regular

That does mean it was reset. I removed my plist before I posted so I didn't post anything wrong and it worked for me, that was 1 of the firstt screens I got. Is the mobile me account still attached? It shouldn't be...

You can put that plist back any time you want btw so you don't have to worry about messing things up. Should have said that earlier :p

14. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Yes, under accounts the first one down is mobileme imap with my name above below that is the new gmail acc that I just set back up. When I first restarted mail it asked me for the password that it says it was rejected that's obviouly mobileme, it has not asked again thus far. My name with a synbol with a s line in it (i think that means not connected) is right back above my gmail inbox.

15. RoninXI macrumors regular

That would mean it is set up somewhere else then. I don't have Mobile me so I can only guess it is in the [] >> [System Preferences...] >> [MobileMe], Do they have a "logoff"? Maybe it is automatically attaching itself to Mail.

16. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Mac os created a new plist file so the only way to put is to replace the newer one. I'll have to get apple on the line to set up a basic acc.

17. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Mobile is in system pref but I didn't see anyway to shut it down. It's part of mac os.

18. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

19. RoninXI macrumors regular

It is obviously not set up in Mail since it re-attached itself with a clean plist. You may want to try asking them about it while you are talking to them.

20. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Well at least I have gmail and now aol mail working. Thanks.