Gmail, seriously?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by puma1552, May 4, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

So as is probably old hat, I used to use Exchange to push my Gmail to my native iPhone app on my old 4S and it worked flawlessly.

Upgraded to a 5 today, apparently I can't use exchange anymore. Ok, so I set up the Gmail option instead of the Exchange option.

Apparently that Gmail account option on the iPhone can't push either? If I open the inbox, the messages show, but they won't push and just pop up on my lock screen no matter what.

Apparently the only way to get Gmail to push is to use the crappy Gmail app, is this correct that there is no way to push Gmail to/through the native iPhone mail app??:mad:

2. kingdLo macrumors 6502

The way I have it pushing is, forward all mail to my icloud account. It works really well and even sends mail out using my GMAIL address.

3. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Can you provide more details with how you set that up?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can do it the Gmail>iCloud way but another way is to add the Gmail app to your phone and use it for push notifications. When you get a new email just open the stock email app (if you prefer it) and it should update and show the new message.

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Not bad, but that's a compromise. I think the poster above wanted to know how to set up gmail "sent from" address if iCloud is forwarding.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Did he? Don't see that.

7. kingdLo macrumors 6502

Here's a link to a different thread where I posted about it.

One more good thing about this is I can delete all mail except certain important ones, and I will still have a copy on gmail if I ever needed it.

8. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Downloaded the gmail app and replaced the default mail app with it in my springboard.

Works well enough i guess, but id still rather use the native iphone app but i guess google doesnt agree.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

When Gmail made this move the old adage, "You get what you pay for" took effect, I'm afraid.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

google stopped exchange support on non-paid accounts back in january. if you have a device that was set up before then, you will still be able to get exchange push email. new devices, youre out of luck. this was a main reason for me to switch to icloud email and get rid of gmail.

11. kingdLo macrumors 6502

One thing in particular about Gmail I don't like is I have to pick every mail individual, instead of say as delete all. Or at least I haven't been able to figure it out in the app.

12. Internaut macrumors 6502a

If every device you use is Apple, then iCloud is a good alternative to Google. Otherwise, I recommend Outlook.com which is supported on every device that supports Active Sync (i.e. just about every device).

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I stopped changing my email addresses long ago. My issue is finding the best hosted email solution. Google has been pretty good and free. I'll have to decided in the next few months whether to stay and pay for Google Apps for Business or go with a hosted Exchange service. There are pluses and minuses for both. But never again will I change my email address.

14. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm also on the fence about getting a Business account for Google/Gmail.

Does it offer push even if you set up Mail under the "Gmail" category, as opposed to "Exchange"? I wasn't sure if you still had to use the Exchange set up to have push enabled...

15. BrianBaughn, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Push would be via "Exchange" as it uses Exchange Active Sync.

Be aware that the changeover from Google Apps Free to Google Apps for Business can take two days...at least that's what happened for an associate of mine a couple of weeks ago.

16. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it!

17. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Made the switch a couple months ago. Outlook.com has been fantastic on my iphone and desktop.

18. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yeah. I have been using my msn account for more than 10 years now. Microsoft has excellent mail and the activsync support is great. Android sets it up as exchange by default as well. I honestly don't know why anyone would move to icloud email over outlook.com.

19. in4fun macrumors regular

Gmail is not free !
    You are selling your right to privacy of correspondence to Google who scans all content you send and receive for commercial purposes (and who knows what else).
    It's like allowing the post office to open, read and keep a copy of all your letters you send and receive while creating an extensive profile about you. But in return your letter will be delivered free of charge. Deal?

20. hexonxonx, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's anonymous. Do you know that carriers are now selling your location data? Yes, I read it just today, they are all doing it. Sell your phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/4187654/how-carriers-sell-your-location-and-get-away-with-it

21. zone23 macrumors 68000

I forward my Gmail to my icloud email works perfect. Go to Gmail then go to settings then click "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" then "forward a copy of incoming mail to" you can handle it from there.

22. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

Perhaps unrelated but I just noticed that hotmail has push option available. Everything else doesn't: aol, gmail, yahoo.