Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I have a PC with Outlook 2002 and a G4 Powerbook with mail 2.0

Up until recently using BTYahoo Mail (pop3) what I liked to do was access and download my mail messages on both machines but leave the mail still on the server.

That way I have my mail safely in 3 places ;)

Recently went over to Gmail and as soon as one of the mail programs "touchs" a message the program on the other machine is blind to it. Both programs are set to leave messages on the server:confused:

Despite showing as being still unread on the Gmail server:cool:

Online I have tried to archieve the message and then bring it back to the inbox and mark it as read then back to unread but it makes no difference to this "one shot "at pop 3 access

Really looked forward to migrating over to Gmail but this behaviour is annoying:(

Am I doing something silly:p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Go into your GMail settings, and select the "Forwarding and POP" option. Make sure "Keep a copy in Gmail's inbox" or something like that is selected.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Thanks BUT

Been there done that.

As you see from my initial post the message is in my Inbox and showing as being unread:confused: ;)

IanF0729

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2005
Washington, DC.
I noticed this about G-mail too soon after I was invited to join. Since I split my time between my work PC and my home/school iBook I wanted to user Mail.app with my iBook and Outlook 2003 at work to download my messages from G-mail.

I put a thread out on the G-mail posts and found out that G-mail prohibits this kind of dual-machine downloading. Once a messaged is downloaded off the POP server the only way to get it on a second machine is to go into settings and select 'Enable POP for all mail,' which you could alwas do on your second machine now and again to have a local copy stored.

My only solution was G-mail Notifier, which...isn't too bad.

In my opinion it's worth all of G-mail's shortcomings to have a thread-like messaging capability....although IMAP servers would be nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.