Gmail Set Up Via Exchange....Problems

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by kcmo, Feb 15, 2012.

1. kcmo macrumors member

Guys/Gals,

I am at the end of my tether and am hoping someone can help. I have already been to the Apple store twice about this and they're no help.

I have a personal Gmail account set up as Exchange. I did this since I am used to push email (first iPhone ....was a Blackberry user) and also need my Google calendar and contacts sync'd.

While this seemed to work fine when I got my phone back in October, I have been having problems for the last 1-2 months. What happens is that my messages stop coming in and/or the mail app freezes and crashes. I'll just stop getting emails and when I hit the mail app, it opens and says 'connecting' and just freezes....then crashes to the home screen. Then if I hit the app again, it will populate with new email as well as email I've recently deleted! The other day I didn't get email for like 4 hours!

The first 'genius' I spoke with said the problem was that I had 'sync limit' set to 'no limit'. He told me I had to change this to '3 days' so as not to bog down the system. As absurd as this reasoning was, I tried it (wasn't happy though as I need access to emails older than 3 days old). Didn't help.

The second 'genius' I talked to over the weekend said it's an issue affecting many (this after he sat there and googled the problem in front of me!) and that I should just wait for Apple to release an update.....WTH??? He said I could restore the phone if I want. Well I did this and it was fine for 4 days but today it's crashing AGAIN:mad: I restored and then set up as new (no backup).

Now what? I set my mom's phone up the same way and she hasn't had any issues.

I did ask the tech about giving me a new phone since mine is just 4 mos old but he said if he did that, Apple would no longer to offer me any support.

I've had it. Considered going back to Blackberry but I do like this phone. Just want it to work! I wanted an iPhone for ages.

Can anyone help? :confused:

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I was having problems too, such as the message counts not updating. For example, I would get some new mail, I would delete them, they'd go to the trash, I'd delete them, but the trash still showed a gray count of 2 with no messages in the trash can, even after refreshing several times.

I switched back to the regular IMAP Gmail in iOS :(

3. qtaran111 macrumors member

What folders have you set to push? Try just selecting the Inbox (on your iPhone Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Gmail > Mail Folders to Push and just select Inbox only.

4. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

That's what I have set...just the inbox

5. qtaran111 macrumors member

OK. Do you have large amounts of email in your inbox, or large attachments?

Also out of interest, do you have IMAP enabled in Gmail (in Gmail go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > IMAP Access

Finally, on your iPhone, go to m.google.com/sync. Do you see iPhone listed under Manage Devices and a Last Sync date?

6. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

1. No...I only keep around 20 emails in my inbox. Largest attachment is around 3MB and that might be for 2-3 emails (not all 20).

2. Yes it is enabled

3. If I go to this site, it wants me to sign in....I don't want to download anything....am I supposed to do this?

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Its a google site, you wont have to download anything. It can tell you the last sync date and time with gmail servers.

8. kcmo thread starter macrumors member

OK I did this and it shows that the last sync was today about 30 minutes ago. Not sure how this helps though.

Over the weekend I've still had freezes....this morning I woke up to 7 emails on my iPad and NONE on my iPhone.

I've tried everything....suppose I can go to Apple for a THIRD visit and demand a replacement phone....or be done with iPhone completely.

9. Telfo macrumors newbie

I have had pretty much the exact same issue. had gmail exchange and my work exchange both set up. constant freezing at least once a day.

I ended up just switching Gmail off of exchange and it seems ok. would love to have it fixed though.