Gmail signups now Open (in the US)

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
According to this blog entry Gmail signup's have been opened for those in the U.S.

It does require access to a mobile phone, since they'll send a verification code to your phone to make sure you're a real person.

No Signup available for me on the Gmail frontpage, so I guess they check the IP, or something similar, to make sure you're in the US.

Of course, everyone I know already have a Gmail address already :p

mbdamdg

macrumors member
May 14, 2005
St. Louis, MO, usa
i'm sure someone could email you an invite.....I have somewhere around 50 invites......Now if you're friends were really your friends they would invite you. Or maybe they're trying to save you from the 'Google take over the world plot' by not introducing you to gmail..... :)

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
mbdamdg said:
i'm sure someone could email you an invite.....I have somewhere around 50 invites......Now if you're friends were really your friends they would invite you. Or maybe they're trying to save you from the 'Google take over the world plot' by not introducing you to gmail..... :)

I don't think that he is saying that he needs to get an account, he was just saying that supposedly signups are now open, yet he can't find the page

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I will confirm that signups are available. On the US gmail sight you give them your phone number and they text message an invitation code to you. There is a limit of 10 codes per phone number.

I can give you a screen shot if you want it.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
I think Google is also partially doing this whole "invitation" thing to make you feel special and part of the "club". It's actually quite a good marketing trick, since I and thousands have fallen for it! ;)

llama :D

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
Flying Llama said:
I think Google is also partially doing this whole "invitation" thing to make you feel special and part of the "club". It's actually quite a good marketing trick, since I and thousands have fallen for it! ;)

Yes, not that nearly everyone has 50 invites, it is not the most exclusive club! Good to see it is now more open, although it is not truely open to all just yet.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I do, but many people do not have a mobile phone. Why not use e-mail verification? It proves you are real, but still is something that anyone can use.

OR!

Even better, they could just CALL the phone number you give them and a voice read the number. This way you could give them a home phone number. Almost everyone has a phone of some sort, but it's definitely not everyone who has a mobile phone.

By limiting it to only people who have a mobile phone, it STILL looks like they are trying to cut back on the number of users on Gmail.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The offer leaves me out I don't personally have a mobile phone. Seems strange that they wouldn't just use the computer and E.Mail.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
wdlove said:
The offer leaves me out I don't personally have a mobile phone. Seems strange that they wouldn't just use the computer and E.Mail.
I guess so it makes it that much harder to use a bot...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
wdlove said:
Do you have to own a phone yourself? It whould seem possible just to have the code sent to a friends phone, if you don't have one yourself.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
dubbz said:
Do you have to own a phone yourself? It whould seem possible just to have the code sent to a friends phone, if you don't have one yourself.
Makes sense to me. They have no way of knowing whose phone it is. Or do they... hehe.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
wdlove said:
well if you would like one, i would be more than happy to give a fellow MR friend an invite! :D

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
yippy said:
I will confirm that signups are available. On the US gmail sight you give them your phone number and they text message an invitation code to you. There is a limit of 10 codes per phone number.
What an incredibly pointless use of technology. You HAVE to have (and use) a cell phone's text messaging in order to sign up for an email account? I mean, my god, imagine going to a car dealer, paying for a car and having them tell you they won't give it to you until you go home and listen to the radio to hear your "lucky number". Just because text messaging exists doesn't mean it should be used as the sole means of obtaining other things.

I expected better from Google.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
ITASOR said:
I do, but many people do not have a mobile phone. Why not use e-mail verification? It proves you are real, but still is something that anyone can use.

OR!

Even better, they could just CALL the phone number you give them and a voice read the number. This way you could give them a home phone number. Almost everyone has a phone of some sort, but it's definitely not everyone who has a mobile phone.

By limiting it to only people who have a mobile phone, it STILL looks like they are trying to cut back on the number of users on Gmail.
Nigerian spammers would abuse it soooo badly. Quite a bit safer now, methinks.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Flying Llama said:

In general I agree, but since I didn't score an invite quickly enough, my standard user name has been taken by someone else. Guess I'll stick with yahoo and/or hotmail.

watcher2001

macrumors 6502a
From their FAQ as to why you have to have a cell phone

Can I sign up without the invitation code? Or without a mobile phone?
Answer

You need to receive and enter a special invitation code in order to create an account. Currently, we are only sending these codes as text messages to US mobile phones. So you will need to have a mobile phone with text message capabilities (most phones have this) and the invitation code itself.

One of the reasons we are offering this new way to sign up for Gmail is to help protect our users and combat abuse. Spam and abuse protection are two things we take very seriously, and our users have been very happy with the small amount of spam they've received in their Gmail accounts. We take many measures to ensure that spammers have a difficult time sending their spam messages, getting these messages delivered, or even obtaining a Gmail account (spammers will often use many different accounts to send spam). Sending invitation codes to mobile phones via SMS is one way to address this, as the number of accounts per phone number can be limited.

If you want to open an account a different way, you may want to ask a friend with a mobile phone to receive an invitation code for you or to ask someone you know who already has a Gmail account to email you an invitation.
Looks a lot like they are trying to keep out the spammers. That being said if anyone wants an invite PM me with your e-mail addy and I will send you one.

jopebythesea

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2005
watcher2001 said:
From their FAQ as to why you have to have a cell phone

Looks a lot like they are trying to keep out the spammers. That being said if anyone wants an invite PM me with your e-mail addy and I will send you one.
It does kind of bias it for use in the States only. Which is odd, for a service that comes in 38 languages... But I'd rather go through the hassle of scrounging an invite now than watch my account fill up with spam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.