Gmail Spam

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by john2006wright, Sep 7, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to stop my gmail spam from downloading to mail.app. I have an IMAP set up. Its labelled as junk by gmail but I'd rather it stayed on gmail.

Thanks in advance

john

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

If you are happy with gmail's spam filtering, you can create a rule which deletes spam automatically.

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

How do i do that? The spam sits in a folder in my gmail account in mail. I can create a rule that deletes my junk mail but my gmail spam does not go there. How I do set a rule for a particular folder. Sorry, I can't figure it out.

john

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You make the rule in Gmail's web interface. Just tell it to send messages with the label Junk to the trash.

jW

5. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Hi sorry to be a pain, but I can't work out how to do this. In gmail I go to "settings" and then I cant see a rules option? I've tried "filter" but that doesn't seem appropriate. I want to get rid of the spam folder in the sidebar of mail in my gmail account. I don't want to see the unread spam counter going up all the time until I open it and delete them all.
    Please help

John

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Its not totally obvious; set up a filter with "is:spam" in the "Has the words:" box, then tick "Delete it". That works for me, although the odd few don't get deleted for some reason.

7. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. Couldn't find that anywhere on the google help page. Taking a while to the hang of how gmail/mail.app manage my folders on IMAP. Its a bit frustrating