Gmail stopped syncing in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mocoroh, Nov 23, 2010.

1. mocoroh macrumors newbie

Hello, there.

Well, suddenly, my Gmail account stopped syncing in my Mail.app. I don't use any other devices for checking email (ipod, iphone, ipad, iwhatever), just my MBpro. From a day to the other, the 'loading symbol' kept spinning and no new message got in, although there were new messages at the Gmail website. I've got another mail account, also IMAP, that works nicely, so it might be something with Gmail x Mail.app.

Does anybody know anything about it, particularly a solution? %P

Thanks in advance,

MOCOROH

2. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

This has happened to me before. An apple employee recommended that I just delete the account from the system preferences and add it again. The old emails will sync back up and it worked for me. Everything is up and running again. Sometimes it gets buggy I guess. Hope that helps as a viable solution.

3. mocoroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, Topgun.

Few minutes ago I just tried "disconnecting" this account and then reconnecting it. It seems to be working as well as you said. But while it is re-catching all messages, the Gmail folder remains blank (and with that thingy still spinning...). I will wait till the end of the catch and then post the results here. Thanks anyway!

MOCOROH

4. mocoroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it seems that disconnecting/reconnecting the account worked, as a complementary solution to Topgun's. But guess what... that round spinning thingy keeps running and running...:eek:

Cheers,

MOCOROH

5. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

By the way

From about a decade using Macs, I've found that this just happens from time to time, and it's just a gmail thing. If you wait a couple minutes or hours, it will be repaired. Or maybe it's an OS thing I don't know, but either way, if you havn't changed any settings, it's probably going to fix itself, and I've found, better to let it do that than go tinkering around with things that aren't broken.

6. mocoroh thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, Powers, these are remains of my WUIB (Windows-User-Instinctive-Behaviour). But you're right, most of OSX bugs get solved by themselves (at least it has been like that till today with my MBP).

Cheers,

MOCOROH