Gmail Sync (Exchange) only syncing and showing the latest 4 emails

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ryefield, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ryefield macrumors newbie

Hello lads,
    Here's the picture:
    I've got TWO Gmail accounts and both of them are synced with my iPhone 4 iOS 4.0.1;
    1. Is synced simply through Gmail (hence, when I created it on the iphone I chose Gmail from the list of Mail providers. Let's refer to this one as my "gmail" account.
    2. Is also on Gmail, but synced with my iPhone through Exchange, like Google wants you to do here , and this one also syncs my calendar and contacts. I'll call this one my "exchange" account to keep things simple.

PROBLEM IS, on my exchange account (which happens to be my main Gmail inbox) I can only see the 4-5 most recent Emails, and there's no "Load More Messages" button at the bottom (like the one showing in my regular Gmail inbox).

I've tried playing around with the settings but the iPhone is already set to
    Show: 25 recent messages
    Mail days to sync: 2 Weeks

So I really can't figure out why I don't get all my mail (there's no problem with push or getting new mail, it's the older mail that I can't see)

Another issue that might be a clue: When I'm trying to search the inbox it only search through thos 4-5 recent emails, and when I push "Continue Search on Server" I get and error: "Cannot get mail; the connection to the server failed"

2. thassett macrumors newbie

iPad Inbox issues via GMail Exchange

I had the same problem. Set up a new iPad running iOS 4, following Google's official instructions for setting this up as an Exchange account so that Contacts sync.

After doing this, only four of the 28 messages in my inbox were showing up in the iPad inbox!

I scoured the web for answers, deleted and re-added the account twice, and messed with the settings 20 times.

The fix: Send yourself an e-mail. From another account, I sent my gmail account an e-mail. When this "pushed" to my iPad, suddenly all of the proper e-mails were in my inbox!

3. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Had the same issue when I had an iPhone and have the same issue with my iPad. It started about a month ago. Before then, everything was fine. Luckily, things work much better on my myTouch 4G. :)