Gmail - Time to get this sorted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chaosx, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Chaosx macrumors newbie

Been having real trouble getting my Gmail account set up the way I want it. I've tried with an exchange server and the Gmail server and neither work.

Basically, the main thing I want is for when my emails are deleted on my phone, I want them deleted from my server. They keep archiving and I can't work out why. I've tried turning off archiving in the setting and I've tried sending the emails to the trash or bin folder on the iPhone but they still appear on the server when I turn on my PC.

I'd rather have it set as exchange so I can use push but I'd happily lose this function on order to have the emails deleted from the server..

Help

2. xcel360 macrumors regular

I use the "Gmail" option when I set up my email and everything works fine. When I delete an email on my iPhone it goes into the trash and when I empty the trash on my iPhone it deletes it on the server as well. Make sure that when you set up your Gmail on your iPhone that you go to settings>mail>gmail account > and that "archive messages" is "off". And everything should sync the way you need it to.

3. GiantSteve macrumors member

The other option is to download Google's Gmail app from iTunes. I know many people hate the app and it's really just a wrapper around Gmail's web based app, but it does some things well like letting you delete email to the trash, organizing and displaying labels and viewing threaded emails in the native Gmail format. It certainly has shortcomings, but if you are a heavy Gmail user it is useful along side the native iPhone mail app.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

5. Chaosx thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I was being silly. It was all working OK, but for some reason even those deleted off my server were being downloaded to my PC when I used Mozilla Thunderbird. So problem solved.

One more question whilst I am here; is there any way to sync my contacts on my iPhone with those on my Gmail account? Basically my Gmail account has no contacts and I want to add the ones from my iPhone to that.

6. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I've actually never used google's contacts and wouldn't be able to help you until I got home to play around with it. Maybe someone else can help you.

Good luck for now.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Enable Google Contacts syncing in iTunes and then sync your phone to do the initial uploading to Gmail. Then turn off contact sync on iTunes. On your phone, add Gmail as an Exchange Server (you can skip the mail if you want) and enable contacts.

Then, in your Mail, Contacts, and Calendars settings, change the Default Account under contacts to be your Gmail exchange account. After you do this, your phone will automatically sync (both ways) all the changes to your contacts that you make from either Gmail or your phone.

8. b24pgg macrumors 65816

9. tranceFusion macrumors member

I don't think you were being silly. I don't see any way to not archive the Inbox items from Exchange.

10. Chaosx thread starter macrumors newbie

Done all this but it isn#t appearing on my Gmail on the PC.