Gmail to iphone and mac office outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by islandit, May 29, 2011.

1. islandit macrumors newbie

May 28, 2011
    (Don't know where to post this and didn't find it in Search, hope someone can help!)

Previously, was using Mac Office '11 Outlook and a Blackberry 8900 mail app for accessing my gmail account. I would get my gmail to both my phone and outlook, both would get the same messages, and then once it did, the original would move to trash on gmails site.

So now I switched the BB to an iPhone4.

I set up my gmail account in the iPhone as "other" (not using the gmail link - I forget why, but think it had something to do with not wanting imap and getting all of gmails folders on the webmail site, so I set it to POP. I followed Gmail setup guide for it)

Didn't make any changes to Outlook or gmail site and now, whichever device grabs the mail first is the only one that gets a copy of it. My settings on the BB look same as on the iPhone

Anyone have experience in this? I need the same emails to come to both devices, no matter when I access it (at different times)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You need to set the account on the iPhone as IMAP and change the server settings accordingly.
  3. islandit thread starter macrumors newbie

May 28, 2011
    Even though the account settings on the BB were POP?
  4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    You want to turn on IMAP in GMail settings. Then setup as Activesync on the iPhone.