Gmail to outlook.com forwarding issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DollaTwentyFive, Sep 14, 2013.

1. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Is anyone having issues with gmail forwarding? I am trying to forward 2 gmail accounts to 2 outlook.com accounts so that I can have push email now that gmail has stopped supporting exchange for gmail.com accounts.

I had originally wanted to use 2 icloud mail accounts, but I already have a primary @me account and my understanding is that secondary accounts are fetch and not push.

This is why I went to outlook.com. I have set up the forwarding in gmail. It seems to be set up properly because I have a pink banner across the top telling me that my mail is being forwarded. The problem is the mail is not being forwarded.

If I tell gmail to forward to another email account - @me.com, for example - it forwards without issue.

It seems like gmail does not want to forward to outlook.com. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Am I missing something here?

TIA if anyone can help.

2. Nsimmons03 macrumors newbie

3. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

As mentioned in my post, I already thought of that. But I have an iCloud account. I would need to create two more. My understanding is that only the primary iCloud account gets push email. The others use fetch. Am I wrong about that?

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

I've never tried it myself but I've definitely read posts on this forum of people forwarding gmail to outlook, so I'm pretty sure it can be done...

5. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

No doubt, that's why I went with the outlook.com option. I just can't figure out why it won't work for me. It works to other domains but not to the outlook.com ones.

6. phositadc macrumors 6502

That's disturbing. I hope gmail hasn't purposefully done that. Outlook is it's biggest competitor.

7. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I was wondering. I don't think it would be beyond google to do something like that. I wish I had never gotten into bed with google 9 years ago.

Can anyone speak to secondary iCloud accounts being fetch and not push?

8. phositadc macrumors 6502

Definitely not beyond Google to do that. Google should never have killed gmail exchange on iPhone to begin with. **********.

9. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ahh - to hell with it.

I signed up for google business apps for the 2 accounts. Which is.. I'm sure, exactly the reason google makes things difficult. Still, paying $120/year is worth far more to me than my time that I have spent screwing around with this today.

10. phositadc macrumors 6502

So what are you doing? Forwarding the gmail accounts to your new business apps accounts?

Or can you use an existing gmail account on Google business apps?

11. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had hoped to use my original gmail on my business apps but you have to use their mygbiz.com emails. So I have the business apps set up as exchange in my iphone and my gmail account are forwarding to the business apps accounts. So it is a workaround, but it is push.

Strangely, gmail is forwarding fine to their own business apps accounts but would not forward to outlook.com.

12. phositadc macrumors 6502

What are you doing for calendar and contacts? Did you migrate them to the business apps accounts?

13. DollaTwentyFive thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never used calendar and contacts on these two gmail accounts. They are just accounts that I need push email from for work. My calendar and contacts are all in iCloud. But I suppose that it would be possible to migrate them.

14. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

So with the Google Business Apps, it then allows for Exchange Push Sync again? That's cool (if so) but sucks that it's $50/yr/account.

Also, if set up this way, can you then also send from your iPhone using that account and have the messages come from an alias email address?

15. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Why not just MOVE to an Outlook account and leave Google altogether??? Are you using Gmail for business???

16. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Honestly, I've been happy with Gmail for a number of years and it has every customization that I've wanted. iCloud certainly does not. Outlook.com is a very real option...just hard to make the leap. I am trying out though...so far not too bad. Doesn't catch all of the spam like Gmail. Also, email rules aren't as good as Gmail for sorting into folders.

But it does push to the iPhone which is a big plus. Though, I can't send from the iPhone from a custom alias unless I use my Gmail account as SMTP anyway.

17. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I pull my work exchange mail through outlook.com. I can send from the stock email app from my work email address. The address in the "from" section of the mail.app will show my outlook.com address but it sends from my work address.

18. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I wonder if it will work if I forward my Gmail to iCloud and then forward iCloud to Outlook.com. I know forwarding from Gmail to iCloud is working for me and forwarding from iCloud to Outlook.com is working.

19. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Why not just forward everything to one, whether that be icloud or outlook?

20. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Because emails forwarded from Gmail to Outlook are being bounced back. I've had several emails bouncing back to Gmail. If I forward to iCloud and then to Outlook, it's fine.

21. wernerz, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

wernerz macrumors newbie

Had the same problem. Just found the solution. You have to import all of your contacts from gmail into outlook which marks them as safe senders by default.

Seems like outlook blocks untrusted email addresses that are forwarded.

22. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

I just got it set up and the forwarding works really well...