Gmail-to Yahoo-Reply with Gmail - I am confused

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lansylator, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Lansylator macrumors newbie

Howdy everyone!

I have been on the forums for nearly 5 hours now looking for the big answer and for the life of me I can't find it. I know this has been answered in bits and pieces here and there but I can't seem to make it work.....so here it goes and I apologize in advance if there is an easy answer here somewhere!

I have an Iphone.
    I have a gmail account.
    I have set up my gmail account to forward my emails to my new Yahoo account.
    All of this is working fine on my I phone.

All I want to do is configure my Iphone to reply to emails with my gmail address, not my Yahoo address.

Here is what I have set:

POP
    Name: My name
    Address: My Yahoo Address (should it be Gmail?)
    Description: My description

Incoming Mail
    Host Name: mail.yahoo.com
    User name: My user name
    Password: XXXXXX

Outgoing Mail
    Host Name: pop.gmail.com
    User name: My user name
    Password: XXXXXX

The message I keep getting is: Cannot connect using SSL

I understand I need to manually set-up my accounts in the "Other Field" under settings, under mail....but I can not seem to make it work.

If someone out there with gmail forwarding to yahoo can tell me what I need to input into my Iphone I would be very much appreciated. Or if I am completely on the wrong track you can tell me that also.

Thanks a bunch!!!

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I don't think you can do that. I don't use GMAIL but GoDaddy for my real email account. For now what I do is use the the browser to REPLY to my email. GoDaddy has a Mobile verision of their Web Based Email which makes it pretty easy.

I hope to be able to set the FROM Address within the iPhone in a future update of the iPhone Mail App. I also hope for InBox Rules on the iPhone in a future release.

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Unless you have a paid Yahoo account, I don't think that you can get POP or IMAP access to it.

The exception to this is if you have an iPhone. It uses some weird incoming mail address for that which I believe routes through Apple. I tried to do this so that I could use the Yahoo Push email with my gmail forwarding to it, but I couldn't ever get it to connect. I believe the only way to make the yahoo push email to work was if you set it up using the email setup wizard on the phone.

I wanted to have my email synced between phone/laptop/desktop, but still be able to send mail from my gmail accounts. Gmail obviously is not ideal for this since it uses POP. I own several domains and websites, so I set up a couple of accounts under one of my domains where the web host offers IMAP email. I set up my gmail accounts to forward to the domains, then I set up the email clients on all three of my locations like this.

Name: My Name
    Email: myusername@gmail.com
    Account name: gmail #1 (whatver you want to call it)

Incoming:
    Host Name: imap.mydomain.com
    username: myusername@mydomain.com
    pword: xxxxx

outgoing:
    Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
    username: my username
    pwrd: xxxxxx

This solves the problem of keeping everything in sync, but still being able to appear as though messages are being sent through gmail.

This also allows me to use gmail's web interface...which I enjoy.

I had one problem with it not being able to connect using SSL while using the wireless at my office, but then it prompted me to try it without SSL, at which point it worked.

4. Racktacular macrumors regular

EarnJam- I am trying to do the same exact thing the Op is trying to do. I read your response, but can that work if you don't have your own domain? Do you think it is possible to do as what the OP is asking with the iPhone at all?

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I don't think you can do it with Yahoo. Any other IMAP solution should work, thats why I used the domains that I already owned.

AOL offers free email and I believe it has IMAP access, so you could use that.

6. Lansylator thread starter macrumors newbie

AOL worked!

howdy!

Just a word of thanks to everyone. AOL worked. Forget Yahoo. I input my new aol settings and it all worked just dandy!

Thanks again!

7. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Why do all of this, though?

8. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Gmail only offers Pop access. If you use email clients on multiple devices then that means it is harder to keep them all in sync.

For instance, say you have an iMac using Mail.app and an iPhone. If you use gmail's default pop settings to check mail on both places, you can't keep them in sync.

Say an email comes in and you read it on the iPhone. If you have Gmail set to archive the message after getting popped, then when you get home, your iMac will not have a copy of the message. This is frustrating if you ever want to refer back to a previous message and it's only on one device.

The other option is to have Gmail set to keep a copy in the inbox after getting Popped. If you have this, you read the email on the phone and decide to delete it. It is deleted on the phone, but not on the server. Then when you get home, your iMac downloads the message again and it displays as unread. This is annoying if you get a lot of emails each day and have to mark them as read or delete them in both locations.

If you use the instructions above, then you will use IMAP to check the messages. Say you get an email and read it on the iPhone. It stays on the server and gets marked as read. When you go home, the iMac still downloads the message, but it is marked as read. If you delete it in one place, it is deleted in both.

The advantage to having the different outgoing server is that the messages will still appear to be coming from the gmail address.

I do this because I really like gmail. You can archive messages, it has a great spam filter and I really like the web interface they use. Plus, I've had the gmail accounts for a while and I don't feel like telling everyone a new email address. If I do it this way, I can still use all of gmail's features, but keep everything in sync. Now...if gmail will start offering IMAP, we won't have to do all this anymore!

Sorry for the long response, but I hope that clears it up!

9. Racktacular macrumors regular

May I ask how you got this to work? So you have your GMail account forward mail to your AOL account. You check your e-mail on your iPhone via AOL and when you reply to it (via iPhone) it will make it seem like your are replying via your GMail account? That is what I am trying to do. That works for you? Can you please explain what you did?

Thanks.

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

You've got the first part right.

1. Set Gmail to forward to your aol account.
    2. On the phone, set up a new email account, select "Other"
    3. Here are the settings you should use:

IMAP - Select the IMAP button

Name: Your Name
    Address: whatever@gmail.com
    Description: This is just what displays as when you hit the mail button on the home screen, so put whatever you want

Incoming Mail Server
    Host Name: imap.aol.com
    User Name: your aim screen name

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
    Host Name: smtp.gmail.com - If you're having problems sending mail after setting it up initially, try using "smtp.googlemail.com" instead. For some reason that works a bit different.
    User Name: your gmail user name

4. Click save. - It should verify everything at this point

To Test:
    1. Send an email to your gmail account from another address. You should get it on the phone.
    2. Reply to that message on the phone to make sure it sends.
    3. Check the message at the other address and make sure the "From" is displaying your gmail.

Hope all that helps!

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

When you hit reply on your iPhone, won't the email actually have your gmail address as the recipient (since it got forwarded from there)?

Just checking, it would be nice if somehow it figured out the right recipient for the email, but not sure how it would.

Hopefully GMail will add IMAP soon, then I would finally start using Mail.app on my MacBook (and iPhone or maybe Touch later)

12. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Well, Gmail is the recipient. That's what I want. For all basic purposes I'm only going through the other email address for syncing. Gmail is the face of the process...the AIM or domain email address just does the dirty work.

From what other people see, it just looks like they sent an email to gmail and recieved a reply from gmail.

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Thanks for the reply, I think I didn't make myself clear.

When you hit 'reply' and the new message appears, who is the recipient in the 'To' field? Is it your gmail address, or is it the address of the original sender who sent the email to your gmail address?

I understand that you want the email to come from your gmail address, I was just wondering what happens when you first hit 'reply' on your iPhone-

14. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

It's the address of the original sender.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Gotcha, that's cool!

I just realized, having Gmail automatically forward email is different than you opening an email, then hitting 'forward'. That's why it works-

16. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Yeah, it's pretty slick! For all basic purposes, it's Gmail with IMAP.

I'm not sure if AOL still does that new mail/old mail/saved mail crap that they used to do where they delete messages out of the old mail automatically after like 30 days. As long as they don't delete your old mail, this is a great free solution to have IMAP for Gmail. If they do delete your old mail, there is always still a copy on the Gmail account.

Now, if Gmail would just implement IMAP, we wouldn't have to jump through all these hoops.

17. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I'm going to have to hook this up when I get a Touch (and when they hack Mail on it)...

I think the best thing to do is to create a 'dummy' AOL that you use as a conduit, even if you already have a regular email account. Because as you say, all your email is in GMail which is your primary account anyway. The AOL account just functions as a conduit between your GMail and your iPhone.

Once it's set up, you're basically on auto-pilot. Although with GMail IMAP, you would get access to older messages, and maybe folders based on tags, since GMail doesn't actually use folders. Or something like that.

18. Racktacular macrumors regular

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I needed to know!

One other thing though, I can't find the e-mail filter for AOL. Do they have a filter? I don't want any e-mail with the word KOTH to be fowarded to my iPhone. I have the filiter set with GMail, but I need to also have it set with AOL. Any way to do that?

19. Racktacular macrumors regular

Sorry for the questions but after playing with it for a bit, is there a way for the iPhone to recognize that an e-mail has been read and deleted when I check my e-mail on my laptop. So if I go check my e-mail via iPhone, that message won't download (since it was already read and isn't in the inbox anymore)?

- Also the other thing I noticed was that I don't get a copy of my sent e-mails in the "SENT" folder. None of my trashed e-mails show p in the "TRASH" folder either. And when I go to my AOL account it doesn't show any evidence of any e-mails. I know it is forwarding to my iPhone but I would think that a copy of it would be left in AOL. Is this correct? Reason why I ask is because the Yahoo forwarding did leave the e-mail in my Yahoo account.

THANKS AGAIN! Sorry for the newbie questions.

20. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

If it's filtering at gmail, then it should catch it before it forwards it to AOL. I'm not positive because I don't have any filters running, but that seems logical.

If you want to have your laptop sync up (with the read and deleted messages you handled on the phone), simply apply the same settings above to your mail client on your laptop.

Incoming - aol
    outgoing - gmail

Sent mail should show up in both places. Look for the folder with the paper airplane icon. Mine appears in the sent folder on both my laptop and iPhone.

To double check, go under Settings/Mail/the gmail account. Then select Advanced Settings. On there, you should be able to choose how the iPhone handles draft, sent and deleted messages.

UPDATE: You might want to follow this thread in the main iPhone forum as well. Looks like someone is asking the same questions...
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354443