Resolved GMail two-step verification, does it work with iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by garlicipad, Apr 15, 2012.

1. garlicipad, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

garlicipad macrumors newbie

I would like to enable Gmails new two-step-verification but I would like to know if it works with the iPad mail app. Has anyone been able to figure this out? Thanks for your help :D

2. oli356 macrumors 6502

The 2 step is for browsers isn't it...? Used for logging on computers which you don't use often, unless you want to get a text message every time you want to check mail.

The application specific passwords do work though.

I've used both and found them both annoying!

3. garlicipad thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, oli. i see now..

ill check out the app specific passwords

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

2-step verification is for logging into the web interface. It has nothing to do with the iOS mail app, and does not work with the iOS mail app.

5. garlicipad thread starter macrumors newbie

when i enable two step verify it wont let connect via the mail app on iPad. so i guess that's that? so basically i give up the added layer of security but i get the to check from my ipad?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It probably puts a "lock" on your account until you put in the verification code. You probably have to enter the code from a browser (iOS Safari might work, it might not. Let us know!) before you can access it from iOS Mail again.

7. garlicipad thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you miles, it worked. The application specific passwords were the solution. If you access gmail through safari then yes you must enter a second code from your phone. However, the IOS Mail app requires that yo generate the app specific code and swap that code with the one on your ipad. thanks again

8. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Two step verification + app specific password works fine. When you enable you'll be signed out of every Google session you have through any interface.

Since I'm a big Google user and have to use a handful of 3rd party apps on the iPad I went ahead and made an iPad specific password, while I also enabled two step verification.

For the mail app on iPad I just put in my new password when it said the old one was wrong, for Google voice on iPad it redirected me to the browser to enter in the verification code it texted my phone.