Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I find mail.app bogs down getting "caught up" downloading my email if I don't keep it running. You can keep mail.app running without a window by launching it and then closing the active window. Mail.app stays underlined in the dock and the next time you need to open it, it comes up quickly.

I also use Thunderbird from time to time. I also use the webmail interface for gmail in the browser (chrome).

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I used Mail.app for my Gmail account for years, but I recently switched to the web interface, after I discovered how useful labels are. I like having my email in a separate app though, not just a browser window, so I compromised and set up GMail as a site-specific browser using Fluid. This way I have many of the best features of Mail.app (dock icon notifications, eg.) but I can use all the features of the GMail web app.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I initially set up my Gmail account with Mac Mail using automatic (IMAP) settings, will my Gmail contacts automatically import over to Mac Mail?
Contacts go in the Address Book program. If you go into the preferences there, there should be a button to sync with MoibleMe, Yahoo!, and Google.

At one point, you had to have an iPod touch or an iPhone for those options to appear. Not sure if that's still the case.

In OS X Lion (if I saw it right), it looks like you'll be able to sign into google, Yahoo, etc once and Lion will setup the email, calendar and contacts for you.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 9.38.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-17 at 9.38.56 AM.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 43

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
Contacts go in the Address Book program. If you go into the preferences there, there should be a button to sync with MoibleMe, Yahoo!, and Google.

At one point, you had to have an iPod touch or an iPhone for those options to appear. Not sure if that's still the case.

In OS X Lion (if I saw it right), it looks like you'll be able to sign into google, Yahoo, etc once and Lion will setup the email, calendar and contacts for you.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.