GMAIL Users + iPod Touch's Mail App (The Cloud works with Google?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Sep 27, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm an avid Gmail user. When I first got my Macbook I set up with Gmail account with Apple's MAIL App. It worked great but within Gmail my emails weren't recognized as being read. Makes sense since I was doing all the reading with the Mail app.

I stopped using Apple's Mail app completely when I realized I needed an up to date mail system knowing I'd be checking it daily from different places and not just my Mac. So I cleaned up my Gmail inbox and now do all my Gmail reading within GMAIL. I'm sure some prefer Gmail's homescreen as opposed to Apple's Mail app.

The Dilemma

As of now i'm using Google's Mobile App where I check my email on the Gmail mobile site. Works great and keep it clean just like when i'm at gmail.com on my macbook. Problem here is that unlike the iPod Touch Mail app, i'm notified when I get mail.

And i'm pretty sure if I set up my Gmail account to the Mail App on the iTouch, it won't sync up with Gmail.com itself. Specifically what I mean is that if I read an email and delete it from iTouch's Mail app, my Gmail account itself within Google will still have it as un-read and def. will not be deleted. That;s not what I want, I want my email inbox to be up to date.

Now what about The Cloud? MobileMe specifically. If I get mobileme I know both the Mail app in my iTouch and Macbook will be up to date...but what about my Gmail? Obviously I mean Google's Gmail.

I fear there might not be a good solution for this...that's why i'm asking here.

C'mon peeps, let's converse this one out.
    :apple:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The cloud will have no effect on your gmail account at all, the cloud only deals with your mobileme email.

Edit: When I mark mail as read in mail.app it shows up as read at gmail.com. (Were you using IMAP or POP when you had your gmail account set up in mail.app?)

3. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Basically it goes like this

If you setup your Touch via the GMAIL button it will use IMAP. Imap means that your gmail is in sync no matter what. Delete a message on your mac, its deleted on Touch gmail account.

Pop3 is this. Delete a message on mac, still unread and undeleted on touch.

If you go to the gmail website in safari on your touch its probably setup for IMAP. Go to gmail-settings and see what it is configured for (Imap/Pop3)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yep, IMAP works great to keep my iPhone and PowerBook in sync. I'm just waiting for Google to include IMAP-IDLE (Push) support for other devices besides those running Android.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i understand. i just setup my gmail with itouch's mail app using IMAP. it checked to make sure and does sync up with my gmail account on google's website which i love...

...no out of curiosity...

Can Mail App on my Macbook use IMAP so that is also always in sync with my iTouch and Gmail.com homepage?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Absolutely

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

wait im sorry, forgive me since im not sure on the subject...but...

say i set up my gmail account once again (havent in over a year) with the Mail app on my Macbook...it'll always be in sync with my normal Gmail.com inbox and iTouch too?

So if I delete an email from the Mail app on my Mac, it'll also be deleted on Gmail's page? What about on my iTouch?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, if you use IMAP on all devices then everything will be synced back to the Gmail servers, so everything will appear the same on all devices.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes, that's how I have mine setup. Just make sure they are all setup using IMAP NOT POP3.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Awesome. So then, what's the point of "The Cloud" Apple is raving about?

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The cloud is simply another name for the @me.com IMAP server, however it also goes to another level because it with also keep contacts, calendars, etc in sync across multiple devices.

12. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i see, i understand.

thanks! you've been a big help!

:D

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

... and push mail as soon as it comes in. Currently, Gmail is setup so that a mail client has to fetch mail every 5, 15, 30 minutes, etc. MobileMe will push the mail to your phone as soon as it hits the mail server. That can be important for business users.