Gmail Users - Webmail or Mail App?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Dunbar, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Just switched from PC to a MBA and I'm wondering which is better for Gmail? I always used the webmail option on my PC. I've been trying the Mail app and the presentation looks nice but I feel like it's not as quick.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sparrow is the way to go for a Gmail client on the Mac

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Neither is "better." They both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on your situation.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Mail.app works just fine for Gmail. I see no downsides to using it over Webmail or sparrow.

5. kevin2i macrumors member

Mail app. But it of course your needs will dictate which is best. Mail app for me:
    1. I have multiple mail accounts I use daily.
    2. I want to download all attachments (ready to go).
    3. I don't want to open stuff in web pages (unless it is a URL link)
    4. I want to sort and search quickly (I use classic view)
    5. I want control of outgoing mail servers.
    6. I don't like web mail or the gmail interface. But it is always there if needed.
    7. Address integration with address book. Just click on an address or phone number typed anywhere in an email, and it can be instantly added to address book (then synced to iphone). Mail.app even will search a tracking number by clicking on it.
    8. Mail is with me all the time (no need for online connection). Just in case google has a problem, I have my mail.

Of course you might just want the opposite (for example you might prefer to open attachments in google docs).

Sparrow has a lite (free) version if you are just using gmail - you might want to take a look. Also, you might want to try mail.app in classic view (mail>preferences>viewing>classic)

6. blunti macrumors 6502a

Mailplane. Multiple acc support, overall best imo.

7. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

8. Macman45, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Use

Thunderbird on my iMac, (I'm not a fan of Applemail I find it too limited) My account is imap Virgin Media, but its googlemail really.

I think the issue with it is to use it properly it's a bit of a fiddle to set up properly....POP easy. Imap, not so easy.

Tbird works fine on my iMac, and I didn't fork out the extra money for Office with Outlook until I bought my Air a few weeks back.

Now Outlook is a living nightmare to configure for imap mail....I did it, but I stumbled upon the problem because I'm stubborn rather than clever.

Tried posting here, many with the same issue but no-one could fix it....Whoopee I fixed it, but the thing still Lose mail, archives stuff in the wrong folder, deletes stuff I've told it to keep etc.

The known issues are huge on the mS help sites.....So?

I downloaded Tbird for my Air too.

9. 50548 Guest

Apple Mail of course, especially the excellent Lion version.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Must Be Missing Something

How does that work for you? Do you have add-ons and stuff? I just think it's limited, and with T/Bird and it's calendar add-in and a couple of other things that I find useful I decided it was a no go for me, but I'm prepared to give it another go if I'm missing something new?

Lion
    imac
    MBA

11. wilsonhaven macrumors member

12. mountains macrumors regular

I use Outlook because a) I can get Office for $15 and; b) I need it to sync three email accounts. It's not so hard to set up.

13. weinschela macrumors regular

weinschela

Couldn't agree more re Outlook. Even when you think you have it configured, especially for imap mail, it will misplace mail, lose sent mail,nand show various error messages. I have abandoned it for native Mac mail, which isjust fine.

14. Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I use the Mail app on my Mac and webmail on my PCs.

15. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Mail of course. You might want to make a switch soon because iCloud is coming very soon and it's free. I'm sure it will work much better than Gmail with Maill app, as well as all your iOS devices. All the mail will push it to you so that you no longer need to check your email. :)

Hope it helps.

16. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Agree with this. As someone who has multiple mail accounts, mail works perfectly for me. also, i don't really get why people don't like the lion version? i think it looks great and works way better than classic. It lists nicely the messages in short detail on the left and than allows for good space on the right.

I also am someone who needs to FREQUENTLY search for older mail, and i find mail.app works 10x faster than gmail at searching so it's always a bonus for me to have it up and running in the background.

Even though you can set up multiple inboxes in gmail web version, it just seems like everything happens much faster in mail.app.

What is it limiting for you? Or, maybe the better question to ask is what add-ons to thunderbird do you have, so that we can compare the features you need? I too use gmail's calendar a lot since I my primary email is gmail and i have a android phone. After synching my gmail calendar to ical, it's worked pretty flawlessly. :confused:

I'm looking forward to icloud, kind of makes me want to ditch my android for a iphone, but who knows.

well said. it doesn't take long to set up. i'd consider taking 5-10 minutes (at most) and setting it up and using it for a week, see how you like it and decide from there. :cool:

17. BatonMedved macrumors newbie

Mail as i get all mail notifications in one place.

18. Skoopman macrumors 6502

I use Sparrow. It's very lightweight, the search function is fast and I love that simple yet elegant layout and design. Currently I use Sparrow with 3 Gmail accounts and it works great. The free version has a built in ad and supports only 1 account, I bought the premium version yesterday and love it.

19. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Gmail web app. Mail.app on Lion seems awesome, but it just lacks some gmail features... I want my colorful labels, I want both sent and received mails to be seen in a conversation etc. And I don't want a bunch of configuration for stupid stuff like when all the autosaved drafts were seen as separate mails in Mail.app (for a minute I got scared and thought all of them were being sent)

20. tmagman macrumors 6502

back on SL i didn't like mail however now that its much like the ipad one I have switched almost exclusively to it. I still use the web version some because i find it easier to make new folders and reorganize lots of emails at once. another reason i switched to mail on lion is because of the full screen view so it's always big but not always visible.

Whatever floats your boat!