Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I've set up my gmail account to work with mac mail. No problems setting it up and stuff, but now I've got a few questions.

1) It is getting my emails from gmail very slowly. I clicked "get mail" and it got so many, and then stopped. I had to do this over and over, and I still don't have the entire inbox.

2) using gmail, if I replied to an email, it kept the entire conversation in one "thread". Now, an ongoing conversation is spread throughout the inbox. Is there any way to keep all replies in the same "thread"?

3) Any replies I've sent to an email are in my inbox, and under the "From" heading is my name. I have no idea who they are sent to, but only that they're from me..

4) When I open an email from me, it shows my user account picture. When I send an email using mac mail, will that account picture go along with it (next to my name)?

Replies to any of my question are greatly appreciates.
Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've set up my gmail account to work with mac mail. No problems setting it up and stuff, but now I've got a few questions.

1) It is getting my emails from gmail very slowly. I clicked "get mail" and it got so many, and then stopped. I had to do this over and over, and I still don't have the entire inbox.

2) using gmail, if I replied to an email, it kept the entire conversation in one "thread". Now, an ongoing conversation is spread throughout the inbox. Is there any way to keep all replies in the same "thread"?

3) Any replies I've sent to an email are in my inbox, and under the "From" heading is my name. I have no idea who they are sent to, but only that they're from me..

4) When I open an email from me, it shows my user account picture. When I send an email using mac mail, will that account picture go along with it (next to my name)?

Replies to any of my question are greatly appreciates.
Thanks.
2)There is, in Mail. Turn the organize by thread option on. It's in the menubar somewhere (sorry, I'm not at a Mac right now).

3)That's strange. If you move these messages to the sent folder (or write a rule in Mail that does this for you), you'll be able to see who the messages were sent to.

#1 and #4 Completely baffle me, though.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
2)There is, in Mail. Turn the organize by thread option on. It's in the menubar somewhere (sorry, I'm not at a Mac right now).

3)That's strange. If you move these messages to the sent folder (or write a rule in Mail that does this for you), you'll be able to see who the messages were sent to.

#1 and #4 Completely baffle me, though.

Alright, well #1 cleared itself up, as all the mail is there now. Thanks for #2, that's a big help. It kind of helped with #3 as well, because all my replies are in one thread now. However, any conversation that I was the last to respond to (I sent the last email in a thread), those still have my name under the "From" heading.

So I guess 3 still isn't really cleared up, nor 4.

Thanks for the help so far, wrldwzrd89.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
One more question. I got a new message, deleted it from mac mail, but it still showed up in gmail. Is there any way to sync the two? email deleted from one automatically delete from the other?

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
One more question. I got a new message, deleted it from mac mail, but it still showed up in gmail. Is there any way to sync the two? email deleted from one automatically delete from the other?

I think you can only do that with IMAP e-mail accounts, which gmail isn't its POP3

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
#3, you need to create a rule to do this, go to Apple Mail==>Preferences==>Rules==>Add Rule and create a rule to move them to the sent folder, and mark as read.

#4 no, thats just a Cool Apple Mail feature, if you have other peoples pictures in address-book they show up when you receive e-mails from them.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
something else about point #3 - Gmail has this weird way of keeping even sent messages in your inbox to make it stay with the conversation. This doesn't fit with the normal email way of doing things, and when you check your email using a pop3 client, these messages are pulled into your inbox, because that's where they are on the server.

Another weird thing with Gmail that doesn't happen with any other pop3 services that I know of, if you down load your messages, a date/time is set in your gmail, and you can only download any messages that arrive after that time. This is fine if you only have one computer, but if you have two, some messages are downloaded to one, but not to the other and vice versa. This can get really annoying.

IMHO, Gmail isn't the best email to use with a mail client. I used to, but now I just open a web browser.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to keep using it inside of apple mail, but I just want to give it a chance to see what it's like.

As for Eraserhead's answer to #3, does that mean that the whole conversation will go into the outbox? Because ideally, I'd like to have it in my inbox, but say who I'm conversing with, and not my own name..

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
As for Eraserhead's answer to #3, does that mean that the whole conversation will go into the outbox? Because ideally, I'd like to have it in my inbox, but say who I'm conversing with, and not my own name..

Pass, i don't use the conversations feature in Mail, but I imagine not, if you don't use flagging of messages you could try that, you can always try for a day or so, and if it does the wrong thing, then drag the messages back to your inbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.