Gmail video integration?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tufflaw, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tufflaw macrumors newbie

Now that it's being rolled out on a larger scale, any thoughts on whether it's possible (or will be possible) to integrate gmail video with the iPhone, either via Facetime or Fring / Nimbuzz / etc.? Or if gmail video will work directly in the iphone? Still hoping for a way to do video chat between iphone and PC.

2. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

facetime is supposed to be "opensource", so it's possible gchat could use facetime.

3. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I hope Google takes advantage of the open source FaceTime! It'd be nice to have one universal video chat service.

I'm thinking Google will develop something for Android and the GREAT DIVIDE will continue... Damn greedy giant companies don't actually give a eff about the consumers.

4. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Open source, lol.

Yes, there are API's, but it's not open source.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're both wrong. It's an 'open standard.'

No, that's not open source, but saying "there are API's" is equally misleading.

6. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

No, i'm not.

No, it's not. That's exactly right. There is nothing misleading about what i said (pedantic maybe).

In fact 'open standard' is misleading, if you have ever been involved in software development, trust me it can mean a number of things depending on what you are doing, platform you are using etc. What is important is that the API's are there, nothing else (well, there is but lets not go down that road on here) so long as you abide by Apples rules. Open standard may well apply, but its an ambiguous term, especially in the world of Apple.

7. Tufflaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Google has been pretty good about developing for the iPhone though - I think they're more interested in the extra multi-millions of users using their product than alienating non-Android users.

8. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

There's no reason google would write anything for facetime. They have their own video chat bundled with Google Talk that they would port over first.