Gmail vs. MobileMe Email (iCloud)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xystence, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

Prior to now there was a lot of half and half mixed feelings about the 2 different providers here. Many who preferred gmail was mainly due to the price of MobileMe per year. Now that the price is gone, whats everyone think?
    I am a recent converter to MobileMe Email from Gmail and I liked it right from the beginning just because I feel like MobileMe acted more fluid with my Mac and iPhone.

What do you all think now? Will we see a lot of people convert this over?

2. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It's an incredible offer for people that use Apple's services exclusively and I think you'd be silly not to use it now it's free in that case.

Depending on how well it works with other platforms, I'll consider switching.

3. archer75 macrumors 65816

I've used both and greatly prefer gmail. Mobileme is pretty but that was about it. Perhaps this new version will have more features but I honestly don't like the ipad email layout on the desktop. Same as in lion. Looks great and works well on a touch device but on the desktop the massive subject headers just make it feel cluttered.

I'll certainly check out the new icloud mail but i'm not holding my breath.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If you use an iPhone or iPad or iPod touch then why not use iCloud, it is free. You can also use Gmail for mail at the same time.

5. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

6. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I currently use MobileMe, and while I'm a bit annoyed that it is all suddenly free, I will continue to use it as iCloud.
    All of my devices are Apple (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone) so having a product from Apple tailor made for my devices will always be easier than using Googles system which won't be supported as fully.
    Not everyone wants to subscribe to the complete Apple ecosystem, and if that is so then I'm sure Googles way will work just fine :)

According to Apples page on iCloud here, iCloud will be coming this fall. Until then you cannot register a new @me.com address.

7. JBTX macrumors newbie

I have had the same gmail address for years, I have no need for yet another email account.

8. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

I was split between the two for a while. As much as I liked how my gmail worked over the years on the website, which in my opinion is far superior then mobileme is online, I find that mobileme, regardless of the platform as email works 100% with any mail app, even outlook.

I feel like with gmail I had to go through a lot of trouble to get things to function 100% right. Mostly due to what google says are features rather then sometimes problems.

I switched and am very happy. Luckily my gmail apple ID had near nothing attached to it, and I was within the trial period still as of today and I got an email saying I have it until next june now. I will be switching it to the cloud version though before that lol

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Having more than just Apple devices.

For me it is stick with Gmail. Gmail offers more space and growing at rate of 128.11 megs per year not counting any sudden increase from Google.

Top it off my gmail address is over 7 years old and it is my primary address and has been for a while. Not willing to give it up that and I know it will never be tied to only one brand of products. We do not know if iCloud would work on blackberry, Android or any non iOS mobile device or link into Outlook like I know Gmail does.

11. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

This is all very true. I had my gmail account for much longer then that and I do intend to keep it for old time sake. That account gets a lot of junk though because ive had it so long. I have mobileme running in outlook on my pc just fine now. Who knows what iCloud will do to that though

12. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I think you guys are pretty foolish not to get a reliable Apple email address for free that you could easily use for certain things your Gmail shouldn't be used for.

You can also make Gmail check that Me.com address as well, with emails to both addresses still going to one inbox.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have started going threw and really cleaning up the junk mail my gmail account collects. Hell right now the collection of "junk mail" I get is from job search sites and even those I have cleaned up to be just career builder and monster even though I am not actively looking I find them useful to see how things are going and to see what direction I should push myself in school. Hell that was why I made it a point to take C# as a programming language as I see that popping up as a like to have or required quite a bit.

but really I cleaned up pretty well. Mind you I do have another gmail account that I use for things that I know will get junk mail.