Gmail Web iPhone & Mac Mail Settings Discrepancies HELP ME

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mitch1984, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I seem to have duplicate folders/labels with Gmail or Google Mail as it is called here in the UK.

I'll explain the order of how I set up Google Mail up.

1. I set up a Google Mail account and enable pop which at the time enabled IMAP as well.

2. I then set up Google Mail up on my iPhone before 1.1.3 came out. Using the Youtube video as a guide. Seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ22euWXYog

3. IMAP was working fine apart from I ended up with a folder called IMAP/drafts on my web based Google Mail and some duplicate folders such as two folders that sent mail goes in, two trashes etc.

4. When 1.1.3 came out, I deleted my Google Mail account and re set it up following the new easy way to set it up, by clicking Add Account/Google Mail. Obviously all the same folders came back as it pulls them from the server.

5. I set Google Mail up in my Mail Program.

6. I logged into Google Mail today to have a look at the Forwarding settings and there is now an IMAP o/off button, I turned it on, even though it was working anyway.

My girlfriends Labels/Folders for Google Mail look different as she doesn't have an iPhone to set it up on.

Basically what settings do I need to change and/or what Labels do I need to remove/delete?

I imagine I need to uncheck move item to trash, but I wasn't you if it move move it to the web based trash (bin)
    Here are my settings. Please please help me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Thanks. I'll try this. Is there and labels I can delete. I think its made extra ones.

4. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I think I want the Hierarchy to show so I can move email to different folders (labels) on my iPhone and in Apple Mail.

However I've turned off the following in Apple Mail.

Store draft messages on the server
    Store sent messages on the server
    Store deleted messages on the server

and have changed "Permanently erase deleted messages when" to Never.

I've left "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" ticked.

Is this correct?

Now when I start a draft email and save it it goes into Drafts on Mail but doesn't appear in any of the two Draft folders I have on the Web Based?

Also do I need to touch any of the Google mail Setting on my iPhone? I set it up on 1.1.3.
    I want to get a consistent experience.

5. Mitch1984 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Right I've tried what you said, I'm going to try what it says on this site.
    It seems to do what I want it to do, although Google advise differently.