Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Forsaken

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2009
I signed up for a Gmail account back when it was invite only...I never used it (I intended it as a back up in case my then .Mac account clunked out.)

Alas, in mid 2008, my now MobileMe account did the inevitable and stopped working. Since then I've used my Gmail account and it's so so so much better.

Address is irrelevant either way. Just make it Gmail, kay?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I was fortunate enough to snatch up my name for Gmail back when you had to be invited. Ahh, those were the days.

I did as well -- I also got <myname>.com which was extremely fortunate. I didn't expect that my name was all that common but I was wrong... It turns out "I'm" me as well as a Lieutenant in the Navy (and an amazing swimmer), a professional skateboarder, a professional singer, a softball coach, a sales guy, a marketing guy, and more... boy am "I" tired.

In any case, to answer the original question, having a longer email address isn't actually that bad. Today, most email programs have some form of contact manager. So, many times, people aren't actually typing your full email address in anyway...

While I prefer gmail, I think it's more important to get one address and stick with it. I use my single gmail account to pop/imap into any old accounts that I have so that I don't have to check them directly any more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.