Gmail with Send As

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by tey112, Sep 15, 2012.

1. tey112 macrumors member

Does the comma trick still work Gmail Send As addresses?

Comma trick: Copy a comma from another application and paste it into the Mail -> IMAP -> Email list. You can then select any of the addresses to send as without having to make several accounts.

Thanks

2. tey112 thread starter macrumors member

For the sake of future searchers. iOS6 still allows the Gmail Send As comma trick with an IMAP account.....

But it will not respect order of the addresses anymore. If someone knows how to get it to, please let me know, otherwise I'm stuck changing my email every single time. Such is life.

Example comma trick, in Mail -> Account (IMAP) -> IMAP Acct Information Email, type the following to enable replying/sending as each. They need to be added to the gmail website first.

email1@gmail.com, email2@domain.com, email3@domain2.net

3. modernmagic macrumors member

Anyone know how to get them in order?

I prefer to have my gmail as the default. That used to mean having it first in the comma list.

4. tey112 thread starter macrumors member

I was never able to figure it out, so I am just changing the from address for most new emails. Replying still selects the correct from address.

Gmail's app, the dedicated one, seems to respect the order that they are added on the regular gmail -> settings -> account page, but that app is just not as smooth as the base mail.

5. modernmagic macrumors member

read this somewhere.... going to try it

"1. Leave your multi-account as-is set up on your iPhone, but remove your preferred default e-mail address from the list
    2. Set up a new e-mail account with IMAP access (i.e. Gmail or whatever)
    3. Create a new IMAP e-mail account on your iPhone/iPad with the details of this new account for the IMAP (receive) settings, but with your original e-mail account's SMTP (send) settings. Also, set the "Email" field in the account setup to be your preferred default e-mail address.
    4. Set this new mail account as the default in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Now, when you create a new message, you should see that your default "from" address is correct - since it is the only choice for the new mail account you set up in iOS. As long as the SMTP settings are correct, it doesn't matter that your IMAP settings don't match.

You should still be able to select any other "from" address as well, which will use your original multi-account settings, which are also correct.

All of your received mail will come in through your original multi-account inbox, and your new account's inbox will likely stay empty.

It seems like I'm forgetting a step here, but this should give you the right idea for a workaround if it isn't exactly right. Feel free to add corrections if you find them."

6. modernmagic macrumors member

I confirm that the above steps worked for me as a workaround.

I can create new emails with my gmail address and I can reply with the email that it was sent to.