Gmail - Zip Files - Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hugooneleg, Feb 4, 2011.

1. hugooneleg macrumors newbie

Hi

I am looking to send all my Gmail Emails in one file (preferably zip if an option?) to PC's from my Mac.
    I need to make sure that they will be PC readable. I have the second generation MBA.

Any suggestions? I have read that PDF files might be the best option, but I wouldn't know where to start with all of them.
    I've also read a bit about Thunderbird. Please help!!!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Why not just select all of your emails on your Mac, right click, select "forward as attachment". That will put them in one email.

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

if you control click on a folder of files you want to send... you can select compress "file name" and it will ZIP it in the same location as to where the original exists.

4. hugooneleg thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked that but I was told they won't be readable by users on Outlook and Hotmail??

5. snebes macrumors 6502a

I must be missing something here. Aren't your "GMail" emails stored online in your account? (This is a top reason for having webmail).

Even with POP3 downloading them, if setup properly, all sent and received emails should be in their proper folders online.

6. hugooneleg thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to send an email with an attachment of all the messages in my GMail account. For instance, with Outlook, you can compress all e-mails into a zip folder, and send the folder in a standard email to other users.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

PDF? Um no. What email program are you using? Is it Mail? Is it Thunderbird? Exporting methods differ depending on your email client.

Possibly the best way to "share" your email across multiple computers is to keep it on google's server (Provided you don't mind their robots reading it to target you for ads. Don't forget they already did that the first time you received the email. It's kind of spooky. When we were corresponding about a friend's adoption case I started getting ads about adoption in the online gmail reader. Big whoop. Yes I'm more likely to click on stuff that is targeted at me based on what I'm saying or reading in my email. So what. If this is what keeps gmail free, I don't mind one bit.)

Assuming you use Thunderbird, here are the steps:
    1. make sure you are accessing gmail as IMAP not POP
    2. create a "label" in gmail. You might call it "save" or "archive" or "shared"
    3. select all the messages you want to "share" between your Mac and your PC and pick copy to the folder you just created above. They will slowly get copied up to the label you specified and eventually there will be a complete set of those emails sitting on google's server. You can check the progress by logging in to gmail from a browser and looking at the content of the "archive" folder you created in step 1 above.
    4. from Thunderbird running on the pc, set up gmail access as IMAP and be sure to tell it to download everything. It will download all the emails you uploaded from your mac to the same folder on the pc email client. (In gmail they are called labels but in Mail and Thunderbird they are called folders. On gmail exactly one copy of any given email exists while in thunderbird, multiple copies can exist in multiple folders.

There. Everything was done electronically. No zip files, pdf files or memory sticks were required.