iPhone gMaps App was not updating for iOS... Why?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by crackbookpro, Sep 26, 2012.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

There is another part of this story that does not get mentioned... Did Apple think the gMaps App was good enough???

Even though Apple's map app is shotty now, the gMaps App did not have turn-by-turn for iOS, and was limited to Android use only. Apple saw them as being unfair, so they did what they did.

Apple still sticks to values/principals that other tech companies will never applaud or even empathize nonetheless.

Google should have made better updates for iOS... and Apple knew it for a long time.

Why no turn-by-turn update for iOS??? Google played the petty pet...

2. dreamover macrumors newbie

this was answered in another thread you said the same thing...

google didn't write the maps app, apple did. there was a reason apple didn't want the old maps app to have turn by turn, and its cause they wanted to WOW you with the new app.

3. cynics macrumors G3

This is a new level of "passing the buck".

Those jerks at Google! How dare them have better navigation then the app Apple previously and currently made!! Nevermind none of Apples iOS software (FaceTime, iMessage, Find my Friends, etc) being available on Googles Android that's not the point!! Apple should take the high road an continue to try to ban the competition!!

/end sarcasm

Seriously though, don't blame Google. I was happy with the previous maps and 3rd party navigation. Since google still has a web app I don't care too much but I wish other apps would default to the web app.

4. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Please let me know where you can find info that gMaps was developed by Apple.

Google Maps was developed by Lads from Australia, and aquired by Google, they then made it for the web in 2005 as what we know 'google maps'. In 2008, it was introduced into Apple's iOS. Actually, they didn't even technically call it "iOS" - the iPhone 3G was the first phone to have A-GPS for the iOS at the time in the summer of '08.