gnuplot installer package?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Mike90293, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Mike90293 macrumors newbie

Mike90293

I've been a happy user of gnuplot on windows pc but would like to use it natively under leopard. I am NOT a unix guru and have wasted many hours trying to build it from source. Have pre-installed aquaterm and X11 but 'make' step (after 'configure') yields many compile errors before quitting.

Since I can run it under windows VM --- don't want to waste too much more time troubleshooting.

Does anyone know of a current gnuplot (>=4.2) pre-built package for leopard?
    MAC download link via gnuplot.info/download is broken.

Thanks

2. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

3. Mike90293 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mike90293

gnuplot install ok

Thank you AllMostThere. The 'with-readline=builtin' option is what I needed also + sudu for the make install step.

All works fine except I see there is no pdf terminal type (4.2.5). Does 4.3 add it back? Otherwise, what terminal type do you suggest for batch output of graphs? I know aquaterm can save to pdf but that is a 1 at a time selection.

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

The PDF terminal depends on pdflib rather than the OS X pdf libraries, I assume for cross platform compatibility. It can be downloaded from source (http://www.pdflib.com/download/free-software/pdflib-lite/) and rebuild gnuplot.

I agree that the "default" build could be better, especially as OS X provides support for many of the terminals e.g. PNG, PDF, but has not been updated to take advantage of these.

For PDF output, say for presentation or publication, I go via aquaterm, saving something specific. I generally use gnuplot in interactive mode / save a script for a specific data set, rather than using it for batch processing large numbers of files.

For batch output on OS X, I am reasonably happy with SVG (although I don't know if this is in 4.2.x, when I was on Linux I used png). Safari can open these, but I also generate a results web page through a shell script, giving me a grid of smaller images each linking to the full size version. A little bit of work, but makes reviewing lots of results much easier.

Building 4.3 is easy enough, following http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/development/index.html (use the bash syntax).

5. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Install finkcommander. It's a GUI for installing unix tools. You select the program from a list and click install from binaries or from source.
    gnuplot is listed.

6. joe.pelayo macrumors member

7. celton macrumors newbie

gnoplot installation error

Hi,
    I'm desperatly trying to install gnuplot on my mac but keep getting this error messages after "make", whatever the gnuplot version:

breaders.c:303:16: error: gd.h: No such file or directory
    breaders.c:304: error: syntax error before 'im'
    breaders.c:304: warning: initialization makes integer from pointer without a cast
    breaders.c:304: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    breaders.c: In function 'gd_filetype_function':
    breaders.c:315: warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
    breaders.c:334: error: invalid type argument of '->'
    breaders.c:335: error: invalid type argument of '->'
    breaders.c:339: error: invalid type argument of '->'
    make[3]: *** [breaders.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I've also tested the './configure --with-readline=builtin' but that didn't change anything...
    Can someone tell me what's going on?
    Thanks!

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hmm works fine for me with Xcode 3.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.2 when compiling GNUplot 4.2.6.

What versions of the above do you have?