Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jspaceman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
There seems to be some division on whether or not Apple will update the cinema displays any time soon. I am about to buy a Mac Pro, but I don't want to get it with a display only to have the new ones released a couple of weeks later.

The buyers guide, says not to buy now, but many people are saying not to hold my breath for an upgrade because the current ACD's were built to be quite future proof.

I anyone else in this same situation? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I just went through the same thing as you.

I ended up buying the 30" ACD, I thought at first that I would wait, but seeing as nobody knows when a new screen would come out, I couldn't hold out.

I use a lot of the previous generation screens at work and they still look very good to me.

In the worst case, if a new version does come out soon, I can always sell this one and get that. I'm not sure what new features the new screen would have to make that financially worth it.

JockItch43

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
I just went through the same thing as you.

I ended up buying the 30" ACD, I thought at first that I would wait, but seeing as nobody knows when a new screen would come out, I couldn't hold out.

I use a lot of the previous generation screens at work and they still look very good to me.

In the worst case, if a new version does come out soon, I can always sell this one and get that. I'm not sure what new features the new screen would have to make that financially worth it.

That's exactly what I did. I was going to purchase the new 30" NEC which is due to be released between the end of the month and the middle of next month. However, with my Mac Pro likely shipping today without a monitor for me to use, I couldn't submit myself to that kind of torture.

Plus, the NEC would of been significantly more expensive. I called up Apple and was able to get the 30" Apple Cinema Display for $1499. That deal pushed me over the edge, so I ordered. I already have a tracking number :D

If Apple does release a new ACD this year, I'll highly consider selling this one and upgrading if I like what I see.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
That's exactly what I did. I was going to purchase the new 30" NEC which is due to be released between the end of the month and the middle of next month. However, with my Mac Pro likely shipping today without a monitor for me to use, I couldn't submit myself to that kind of torture.

Plus, the NEC would of been significantly more expensive. I called up Apple and was able to get the 30" Apple Cinema Display for $1499. That deal pushed me over the edge, so I ordered. I already have a tracking number :D

If Apple does release a new ACD this year, I'll highly consider selling this one and upgrading if I like what I see.

How did you get apple to lower the price for you do you have some kind of discount or something.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Right now I don't think the 23" ACD represents good value for money, you can get a better display from Dell, HP or a dozen others.

I don't agree.

I went through this a couple of weeks ago and I looked at several other monitors and I could not find another 23"/24" monitor using the same panel type for less money.

The 23" ACD is excellent for the price and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I ended up actually buying a 2nd hand one off ebay (only 5 months old) and saved quite a lot so if a new one comes out, I'll either sell this one for a smaller loss or keep it and buy a 2nd one for even less :)

My advice would be to go for it. It's an excellent display and looks damn sexy!

JockItch43

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
How did you get apple to lower the price for you do you have some kind of discount or something.

I asked for the student discount (which is $1599 for the 30"). The salesman asked which school I attend, I told him, and that was that. Even though I really am a part time student at the school I mentioned, he didn't request proof.

I was also able to get an additional $100 off of that price through negotiation. The sales rep spoke with his manager and his manager gave the OK for a final sale price of $1499.

Not a bad deal, but I still do feel a little weird about paying that much for a monitor that's been without a refresh in about 2 years and that's at the end of its life cycle. I'm hoping that when I sell it when the new ACD's finally arrive, I don't take too much of a bloodbath.

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
If you are holding out for a feature you need, you should not be considering the current ACD anyway.

If it meets your needs, it is not like it will suddenly not anymore, even if there is an update. I love my 23"s, and see no reason to update to anything else at this time.

The retail price is large, and if you do not care about what makes them unique (which is NOT an aluminum casing or an apple logo) then by all means get something cheaper with more features.

I did not and would not pay retail price for my displays, as the S-IPS panel was not a deal-breaker for me. But, now that I have them, they sure are nice...

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
What info do you have that makes you say 4 months?
Do you know something that makes you say this?

Yah, WWDC is in 4 months.

Apple will not roll out new ACD's without a MacPro Redesign as well.

This is at least 4 months off and I personally think even longer -- notice I said personally -- this means it is based on my instinct as an older dude, not on some knowledge. When I hit 40, and realized experience was cool for a lot of reasons one can only understand after having experience, I learned to trust my instinct in a lot of areas. This being one of them.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Right now I don't think the 23" ACD represents good value for money, you can get a better display from Dell, HP or a dozen others.

Not true if you do SWOP print design.

ACD 23 is a very good panel for the money and is actually cheap for an S-IPS panel with SWOP certification out of the box.

CyCoPaTh

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2003
I'm in the same position. I'm ready to buy a Mac Pro but am waiting for them to update the screens. There seems to be the tinniest glimmer of hope that they might update them at this event they're meant to be having in a week or so. Rumours so far however only seem to say that they're updating the iPhone and releasing its SDK at this event .

I find myself checking Macrumors multiple times a day on the chance that the screens have been updated. I'm slipping in to desperation! sad I know... Having checked this site every day for the last couple of months I should note that there have been updates of products all over the place out of the blue, not annouced at any event. Apple definitely does not limit product updates to large events. The cinema display however may be too significant a product to update quietly...

I currently own a Mirror Drive G4, which I love, but it hurt a little when only 4-5 months later they released the completely revamped G5. It looks like I may have to wait the full four months until WWDC to ensure it doesn't happen again!

Christian

macgruder

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2007
UK

I wish people would stop saying this. The ACD is a S-IPS screen - the dozen or so others you are talking about are not. So you can get a worse screen for less money.

As Dante says, the ACDs are hot for the money. sorry for the terrible pun :D

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
I wish people would stop saying this. The ACD is a S-IPS screen - the dozen or so others you are talking about are not. So you can get a worse screen for less money.

As Dante says, the ACDs are hot for the money. sorry for the terrible pun :D
If it's god or not depends on what you're main usage will be. For playing games, watching movies the ADC is a bad chooise, but for graphic design it's a good one.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Hope so! Just pulled the trigger and ordered a 30"ACD. I need good colour (graphic design on high end art catalogues etc).

Any recommendations as to what calibration hardware will give the best results? I'm about to go fully free-lance (new screen/new MacPro 8800 ordered today). At work we use Huey Pro's but I'm not totally convinced they work that well, some print work comes back looking darker than I would've expected it to be.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
There are some podcasts saying "wait until the end of February" and "they can't comment further" but they are hearing things may be close.

Don't know how accurate but it would be nice, with a lot of things shipping this months like Time Capsule and the updated software.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
There are some podcasts saying "wait until the end of February" and "they can't comment further" but they are hearing things may be close.

Don't know how accurate but it would be nice, with a lot of things shipping this months like Time Capsule and the updated software.

Can you tell me what podcasts you are referring to?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I was also able to get an additional $100 off of that price through negotiation. The sales rep spoke with his manager and his manager gave the OK for a final sale price of $1499.

If this isn't an indicator of an imminent release...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
A dell 24 inch just came out that might be the death blow for the 23 inch ACD. I've been looking around for a monitor and I'm not sure if found any that were clearly better than the ACD. Which is kind of sad considering this thing was first made in, what, August 2006?

But a Dell ultrasharp was introduced. Lots of plugs and 3000 contrast. Haven't heard if it is and S-PVA (or whatever the good monitors are, i.e., not a TN monitor), but I believe the prior generation of this monitor was a S-PVA, so I think this will be as well. Should make the quality as good as ACD but with improved technology (if that even makes sense).

JockItch43

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2008
If this isn't an indicator of an imminent release...

The thought did cross my mind when I ordered. But with my Mac Pro arriving at the end of the week without a monitor to use, I couldn't hold out anymore.

With that said, this thing's going on ebay if Apple finally releases a significant upgrade to the ACD and I like what I see. Whether that's next week or next year, I'll just enjoy this one in the meantime. After the disappointment at Macworld, I'm sick of playing the waiting game with the new ACD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.