Go All iPad, or Wait for New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by appleseed76, May 7, 2010.

1. appleseed76 macrumors regular

I've been considering going all iPad and getting rid of my iPhone, but the looming release of the new iPhone has made me hesitate.

What I know:

1. I like the idea of dual cameras and video conferencing, but would I really use it that much?

2. The larger screen of the iPad seems more useful, but then I'd lose the portability of the iPhone.

3. I'm not too worried about making calls, as I'm more of an emailer/texter, plus I can always buy line2, or download Skype for free.

4. The cost seems negligible, as you pay more upfront for the iPad and more over the lifetime of the device with the iPhone.

5. I really want to get away from AT&T's overpriced contract/calling plan and I feel like I'll be in a WiFi-enabled area most of my day (work and home).

6. I'd like to have children someday, and I heard keeping the iPhone in your pocket all the time is bad for your nuts.:(

Hm... what do you guys think? Waiting for next year's iPad is not an option.

2. iRance macrumors regular

Keeping an iPhone in your pocket is bad for your nuts?
    Hmm interesting.......

3. mymacrumorse macrumors member

Go for both.... They are totally different and one can't replace another.

4. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I already have a 3GS iPhone, so I went for the iPad and now have 2 as the wife had to have her own :rolleyes:

I figure when the new iPhone comes out, I will still get the updated OS, so I will wait to upgrade it.

All that said, I couldn't go without my iPhone. I travel for work though and it has my life on it :D

5. Amadeus Zull macrumors newbie

I can confirm you can have a kid while holding an iPhone and BlackBerry in your pocket.

Buy an Ipad and get a cheap 3g one. I wouldn't bring an iPad to the bathroom and that's where my iphone comes in.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

+1

7. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Awesome! No more condoms! Honestly, they are 2 different devices. Ill never watch TV show or movies on my iPhone, and I'll never go to the gym and use ifitness on my iPad. It all just depend on how you use it.

8. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I still haven't been able to fit an iPad in my right front pocket.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

:p

10. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

Get the iPad.

Seriously my iPhone is hardly getting used like it used to and the thought of using apps on it is a joke now. I do not see an ounce of worth in upgrading to the new one this summer unless it can cook meals or clean my house.

The iPad is where it's at.

Full disclosure: I think children are inhibiting, expensive, obnoxious, and will only grow up to disappoint you--I often wonder why anyone would want them at all so my views might be skewed.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Just get both. I'm finding that I use both devices for different reasons.

Besides, if you jailbreak the iPhone and load MyWi, you only need one data plan.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

There are places where I still would find an iPad far too large to use. Checklists, to-do lists...even the GPS feature. For one-handed operation while pushing a shopping trolley along the aisles of Home Depot or whatever, the iPhone would still be my preferred device.

That said, I owned an iPad once and I'm sure I'll own one again. There is a place for both devices if you have the money to spend.

Considering you were a child at one point yourself....I think your views are most definitely skewed.

13. appleseed76 thread starter macrumors regular

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. Absolutely. If you don't call your girl she'll get pissed and you won't get laid for a few nights. Can you say blue balls?

15. briankwest77 macrumors member

16. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I don't have an iPhone and never have had one, but I do have a Nexus One, which fills pretty much the same niche in my life.

If I'd had the iPad before getting the Nexus One, I might have thought more about the price of the phone, since the iPad does a lot of the same things. However, since I had the phone already, that part wasn't a factor in my case.

I do use the Nexus One quite a bit still - it's great for texting, google maps etc when I don't have the iPad handy. And since the iPad isn't pocketable, this is a large percentage of the time - say 50% at least.

17. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

As of now, I'm not going to upgrade my iPhone. However, when the release approaches I may be suckered in as per usual:D

But seriously, if only one get the iPad.

18. appleseed76 thread starter macrumors regular

I've decided.

I think I'm just going to get the iPad, as you suggested. I've already got a 3G iPhone and I want out of my contract with AT&T. If the 3G network is decent where I'm headed (back to school), I might consider signing up for the iPad service and I like the fact that I can get out of it at any time. Plus, I don't want to cook my nuts with radio waves. Apparently it makes your sperm all goofy and screwed up. I guess that's one way to control the population.

19. traveller09 macrumors member

Agreed, my iPhone now seems like a joke and I hardly use it since I got the iPad. Get the iPad and a cheap phone.

20. sths-gr macrumors member

sths-gr

Lost my iPhone 3G four weeks ago..got the iPad wifi last Friday instead of the 3GS as the new iPhone is going to be released soon..