Go Easy on FedEx

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmacintyre, Mar 16, 2012.

1. dmacintyre macrumors newbie

My guy turned up at 7pm (late) looking very flustered. He said he had his lunch at 4pm and was working until his truck was empty. He said it was worse than Christmas and some people were giving him a hard time on the doorstep. He thanked us for our patience and said he hoped we enjoyed our new iPads :)

They obviously are stretched at a time they should have been prepared but they are trying and I'm guessing the vast majority of people will get their iPad today.

2. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

The FedEx lady that dropped mine off this morning said she had a truck load

3. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah, unfortunately, no one gives these poor people a break. All everyone cares about is getting their new toy bright and early. They really do deserve some credit!!! Can't imagine how difficult that job has to be as they have major deadlines.

I think everyone should tip their FedEx/UPS driver, because that can go a long way. :)

4. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Those delivery guys/girls have an incredible amount of extra work today. I hope most of us were patient & appreciative. I know our guy had a lot left to deliver before he went home for the day. If I could have given him a cold beer, I would have.

5. uPad macrumors newbie

At the end of the day people just need to remember that it's just an electronic device. I can easily say this because the FedEx guy showed up at 11AM and I have been drinking since 10am.

6. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

My driver noted that hes never seen so many people home to receive their deliveries before.

7. rick98761 macrumors 6502

To the people that say they should have had more staff, be realistic. They can't hire a bunch of drivers for one day.

8. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I was upset at first... But then I calmed down once I was assured I would get it tonight. Typing on it now!

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My FedEx guy today just happened to be a guy I used to work with at Home Depot about 10 years ago. He was in a pretty good mood, but then again it was earlier today. I actually got my iPad one minute earlier today than I got my Apple TV3 yesterday. Yesterday was a different driver though. Both FedEx guys were in really good moods, and it was around 1pm.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

11. dalma macrumors newbie

7:20PM and no sign of mine. I just wish they would update my shipping status page, it doesn't even say on the truck for delivery. Either way I'm cool with it, I understand they are busting ass today.

12. MelodyMarch03 macrumors member

My Mom said the Fed Ex guy that delivers to her office (she gets fed ex everyday) asked her why she was getting another (she has had a 2 for about 2 months) when she explained that I ordered it for to be delivered there he said "smart to have it delivered where someone can sign for it, I can't tell you how many notices I have left for these today.".

Just keep in mind they are doing their best but also need us to be smart and flexible with them as they can only do so much!

13. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Ya I think they did a great job in sending these out with drivers in the mini van cars etc. to get them out quicker and I like the fact they said it could be till 8:00 to let you know.

Now granted what they did wrong was not have the tracking information updated correctly and when it states thing like "Delivery Exception" Etc. when people are staying home then they get worried and frustrated. plus if they knew this was gonna be a thing with these packages they should have made the delivery time for all apple deliveries at 8:00 PRIOR to this morning .... and when the exception happened they needed an update After that saying out for delivery.

These people I think did a great job and the drivers deserve ALL the credit in the world ... but they need to get it right next time and have the tracking data correct prior to and also up to the minute on the day of so people don't Freak out!

And if you wanna bag on FedEx and say UPS is better .... At Least FedEx changed their time from 3 to 8 saying we may be late .... remember the thousands of people last year for the iPhone 4S release getting their phones delivered from UPS WAY past 5 o'clock .... up to 9 and 10 for a l lot of people .... myself included since it showed up at about 9:30 with no warning from them that it may deliver that late.

FedEx did a great job in my opinion but they just need to get there tracking system correct during and before deliveries next time.

14. identity macrumors 6502

Yep, it's not their fault they have to deliver thousands of iPads today. The guy I had said he had over 300 more iPads to deliver and my city's about 60,000 population. That's not including the regular deliveries too.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A positive thread for sure. The fact is the FedEx drivers are really pushing the limits with these apple product launches. When I got my new iPhone the UPS driver came to my door at about 7:15. I felt incredibly bad for him because it was the last phone delivered but he said all he delivered that they were phones. I completely understand the excitement but I don't think I would ever give a driver a hard time. They seem to have a hard enough job as is. It makes me a little bit sad to see all of the people who are so angry at FedEx. It's as though they have the sense of entitlement that they can't get past.

Everyone is going to get their new device I don't see why people are so damn upset.

16. Voxone macrumors member

Voxone

I filled out and signed my "pre-sign" form and taped it to the door since I was heading out for breakfast with an old buddy. I checked the tracking page on my iPhone at the restaurant and saw that there was a problem with the address on the package and that it had been returned to the FedEx facility. Aghhhhh! I called and they told me whoever typed the label didn't put my condo number on it just the street address. Ok, I get in the car to find that there has been a HUGE accident involving a big rig and garbage truck and the road I need to get over the hill and to the FedEx office was closed and would be for several hours. Aggghhhh again. Did I mention it was pouring rain? So, off I go up the coast on Hiway1 to get across that way. It took me over an hour, but I finally got to FedEx, got my iPad and had just enough time to look at it and then head off to work. I can't wait to get home and play with it tonight. Whew. I'm exhausted. :eek:

17. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

The driver who delivered mine seemed like he just wanted to go home. I asked him how busy they were, and he just sighed and said "busier than I'd want to be on a Friday". I felt bad but hey, we've all had friday's where we just want the weekend to start. All you can do is sympathize and hope the rest of the route goes smoothly.

18. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Those FedEx drivers deserve some kind of hazard pay for working so hard today and putting up with a lot of irate customers. I admit I was mad at first this morning, but I would have been OK with it tracking info saying anytime before 8:00 today. The driver ended up coming about an hour later than he normally does.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My delivery showed up around 330pm. The driver said he had his normal amount of deliveries then the iPads. He said he was a little more than half way done with his route. The signature requirement was slowing him down

20. Casey3557 macrumors newbie

I'm very appreciative of all their hard work! Major kudos! :)

We're not permitted to have personal packages sent to my office any longer, so that was a bummer. Hubby said that our UPS gal seemed a little more frazzled than normal, but still her normal bubbly self.

Thanks also to those of you who stayed home all day for those of us who couldn't to sign for our precious cargo!

21. KPOM macrumors G5

True. People need to keep things into perspective. Sure, it's a bit frustrating that the pre-orders came in a few hours later for a lot of people, and for once Apple actually had enough stock in the stores to meet demand, but those are good things. The pre-orders were actually a big part of it, and it was Apple, not FedEx, who dictated that no iPad orders could deliver before today.

In the end, the vast majority of pre-orders delivered today as promised, thanks to the efforts of the dispatchers and drivers. Like others have said, this was like Christmas, except worse because it was concentrated on a single day.

22. stooley macrumors regular

My driver was lucky. Said I was 1 of the 10 iPads he had on his route, but some of the others had quite a few more. I love living in a rural area :).
    Feel sorry for most of them today. Not their fault they had hundreds to deliver on top of normal deliveries.

23. eikast macrumors member

I think that FedEx did an amazing job. FedEx has high standards thus why they changed their expected delivery time. UPS tends to always deliver late with some packages looking beat up. Not to mention that I got my package at 1 PM when it was extended until 8

24. pdawg macrumors regular

Had some hit or miss experiences with FedEx and UPS before around Christmas time, but today was flawlessly executed (delivery 10:40 AM). Guess it's all about chance sometimes.

My driver was surprised at how many people were not home to pick up their iPads. I got the impression he was not leaving them on the porch.

25. racer1441 macrumors 68000