Go for current rMPB 15" or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bananpizza, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bananpizza macrumors newbie

Hello there fellow Mac'ers,

I'm in big need of advice here. I'm currently sitting on an Early 2011 MPB 13" (i7 dual core, upgraded to 8gb memory and a 500gb 7200rpm HDD, bought same day as release). And it just doesn't cut anymore.

I'm doing a lot of audio production with the software Ableton user mainly, but sometimes I kick some Logic Pro as well. I mainly make electronic music (using plugins such as Massive, FM8, etc, CPU-heave plugins), and some other quite CPU-heavy plugins from Waves and oZone iZotope 5 Advanced. The CPU chockes already when I got about 5-6 tracks with Massive and a drum-rack. And I mainly load my samples from my external harddrive (USB3, but the MPB just got 2.0) to not stress the internal HDD so much. The fans kicks in really early as well, sometimes they start by just starting Ableton.

Or even more hilarious, when I try to watch a HD movie (or likely any movie at all) or a 720p+ video on Youtube, the fans kick in and I'm just waiting for it to start hovering around the room and do flying kicks at me. If I even try to do some Photoshop-work it takes like 5 minutes to load it up properly. I've reinstalled the computer from time to time during the years but it seems like it's not helping. And trying to play a game (I know, mac's aren't for games, bla bla) is just a pain in the ass. I'm happy if the game even starts. Bought some games on Steam during the summer-sale to have some things to do during the fall but I won't be able to play them on this computer at all I guess.

I like my mac because of the quality, less hassle (in my opinion) than a Windows computer, and I just like the OS way more. But the hardware just doesn't do it anymore. I do make some music and graphic-stuff that I get paid for, but the computer is just holding back my workflow, I just get irritated and take way to many breaks than I need because of all the loading and beach-balls.

What would YOU guys have done? I've heard they might be skipping a dedicated graphic-card in the next Haswell-update, and I do NOT want an intergrated ****** graphics card one more time. And I do not want a computer that's hovering above the table when I try to use it and with the sound of a jet-engine.

Thanks.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I would wait to see if they choose to upgrade the dGPU or use the Iris Pro in the new rMBP. Either way you will have the choice to get the late 2012/early 2013 model if you choose to wait; they may even be on sale at third-party retailers.