Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

litokhmaikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
So I bought my Macbook Air (13" base configuration) about a week ago. After opening it up, I happily realized it was a samsung screen. Now after using it a for a while, I am starting to realize that 4gb of Ram might not be enough. I run into no problems currently, but the free ram is always hovering around ~700mbish, and I'm afraid in the next OSx, that will not be enough. So now my question, should I order a CBO 13" 8gb Air and take the risk of getting a LG screen or just simply stick with my current one?

Btw, I mostly just use Word and surf the web. Nothing too intensive.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Well, RAM will actually make a difference whereas the screen type makes no difference at all, so I would probably take the RAM.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Given that you've got the better display panel and aren't currently experiencing any problems, I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Some on these forums will always say "you can't go wrong with more!", but for an extra $100 and another round at the panel lottery I think it deserves a little more consideration. Macs with 4GB of ram are so pervasive currently I doubt the next version of OSX will leave your laptop crippled, lest there be an enormous horde of angry users.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
So I bought my Macbook Air (13" base configuration) about a week ago. After opening it up, I happily realized it was a samsung screen. Now after using it a for a while, I am starting to realize that 4gb of Ram might not be enough. I run into no problems currently, but the free ram is always hovering around ~700mbish, and I'm afraid in the next OSx, that will not be enough. So now my question, should I order a CBO 13" 8gb Air and take the risk of getting a LG screen or just simply stick with my current one?

Btw, I mostly just use Word and surf the web. Nothing too intensive.

There's no guarantee that a LG screen is going to be a deflective one - There are people with perfectly fine LG screens and people with deflective Samsung screens. IMO it's getting a little silly how people instantly judge their computer based on which company made the screen, some even before they even use it properly...

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Since Mountain Lion and its new default profile, the LG screen looks perfectly fine.
In fact, the 2 years old thread "LG screen calibration etc" that used to be on the front page ALL THE TIME is now showing up less and less.

IMO this is not worth thinking about anymore.
I'd take the RAM.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Macs with 4GB of ram are so pervasive currently I doubt the next version of OSX will leave your laptop crippled, lest there be an enormous horde of angry users.

Given this is Apple, who don't care about anyone who owns the last generation products at all, i wouldn't ever bet on it.. ive avoided the current round of mac laptops, struggling along with my early 2008 Pro all this time because i can carry spare batteries with me, and i can change the RAM and HDD easily (both of which i have needed to upgrade since buying the device, and both are things i consider "user replaceable/upgrade-able")

my fear is apple are trying to move the "desktop/laptop" products more in line with the iOS design mentally, Zero user replaceable parts, Zero customization and forced obsolesce ever year or two.

As it is, get as much RAM as you can, because you cant upgrade it later

Ibamac

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
I had a refurbished 11" MBA with a LG screen and I returned it for a new MBA just because there was only a $45 price difference with the education promotion at the time. I received a new 11" MBA with an AUO screen which was awful - so dim that I had to keep the brightness all the way up in order to be able to read comfortably on the computer, so the resultant battery life was abysmal. Apple replaced it with a new one which I just picked up on Monday. It's a LG screen and is great (for my purposes - I'm not a designer, but a lawyer and a teacher). It's bright so I can see it at a much lower brightness setting which also substantially increases battery life (too new to tell so far, but I expect the standard 5 hours vs. 3 at best). Hopefully, the replacement will work out as well for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.