Go for the 775M upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mganai, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mganai macrumors member

I'm planning on finally getting an upgrade to my old iMac sometime soon. I would like to play a lot of games, but plan on holding on to the new machine for 3 years before trading towards a new one, so which high end option should I go for: the default 2 GB 775M, or the 4 GB 780M upgrade?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Depending on the games, probably the 780M.

3. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Definitely the 780m if you plan on playing a lot of games on it. If all you're going to play is Minecraft or something not intensive get the 775m.

4. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

Yeah, I've got the 775M because I'm not going to be playing games on my iMac - I've pre-ordered a PS4 for that! :D

5. MikeChicago macrumors member

I have no idea where people get this idea that GTX 775 is not capable of gaming in high setting. Every benchmark I found shows it it to be quite capable. Minecraft? Really?

6. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Minecraft will run on the basic integrated graphics from Intel Haswell.

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

There's a lot of variables here but my advice would be if you don't play graphic intensive games and frequently upgrade (every year or two) it probably doesn't matter.

If you do play graphic intensive games or hold onto your computer for 3 years or more I'd get the 780M. The reason being that you want to maximum performance possible for now (even if you aren't using it today) and leaving a little overhead for tomorrow.

8. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

As I've said many times before though, the vast majority of Mac owners bought their machines for work, not games - that's what PCs do best.

9. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I don't think I share your viewpoint regarding usage. I doesn't make much sense to me to lump everyone together like that. People buy Macs for a number of reasons. I work and play on my Macs.

I do agree that a nicely equipped PC would give better performance than any iMac (at least so far). So if you are a hardcore gamer getting a separate PC for gaming would give the best experience. Since I'm not, and don't want more equipment to buy, I just go with the best iMac I can get.

10. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502

AaronM5670

From experience, many people who own Macs are professionals or students; people who need to make a living from their work. I'm not saying none of them play games occasionaly, it's just that you'd get a greater value package by purchasing a PC if your main intent is to play games - the large variety of titles out there for PC has no comparison to the relatively small amount on Mac - even though some of the big names are still there - Batman, Portal, Minecraft, Call of Duty etc.

11. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Boot Camp.