iPhone XS Max Go for XS Max or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnvt, Jul 18, 2019.

  1. nnvt macrumors newbie

    Sep 25, 2017
    Hi there!

    I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus and I'm sort of looking for a new phone. I am however unsure whether or not I should go for the XS Max or wait for the next generation.

    Seems like next gen will only really feature camera changes which I do not really care for. In fact, I think the leaked camera design is rather obnoxious.

    Another thing I'm worried about when waiting for the next one is the buy back value of my 8 Plus. Currently I can trade it in for a new phone and get around 350€ off of the new one. I'm afraid this value will drop significantly after the next iPhone is released.

    All in all, I can get an iPhone XS Max for about 869€ (1259 - 350 from 8 Plus - 40 sale) . Is this a deal I should take or should I wait for next gen? Any others in a similar situation?
  2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I love my MAX, best iPhone I have ever owned. If you are not liking what you her about the 11, the MAX should suit your needs. In the end it is your choice to make.

    Best of Luck!
  3. Tsepz macrumors 68030


    Jan 24, 2013
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Hmmmm.... maybe wait until the 11 is released and get a XS Max for cheaper?
  4. addey macrumors member

    Mar 29, 2016
    This close to a new iPhone release its always better to wait imo.
  5. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020


    Feb 22, 2014
    Really depends if the rumours interest you or not.
  6. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

    Wide opeN

    Aug 27, 2010
    This is certainly a feasible strategy.

    Too consider, at this point you're depriving yourself out of a year of iOS updates since you're buying so late in the cycle. This close to launch, I'd wait. You never know, you may see something that tempts you, and you'll still have option of Xs Max, which would offset any decline in your 8 losing vaule.

    But, if you decide to pull the trigger right now, iPhone Xs Max is an amazing phone and I'm enjoying the ride on mine!
  7. alpi123 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 18, 2014
    You should really wait, regardless. Not only you'll see if the next iPhone is worth it for you, but the prices of the Xs Max will go down.

    Plus, if you get the phone right now and see that the new one has cool features that you could use in real life, you'll be pissed off.
  8. jplusc macrumors 6502a

    Jul 5, 2010
    I would wait unless you could get an unbeatable deal. I love my max I believe I’m going to pass on the 11 but if you’re not getting a deep discount you mine as well wait for the 11.
  9. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 25, 2017
    I can get one for 869€ brand new which is about 400€ off. There is a sale which reduces the price by 40€ and they'll deduct the value of my 8 Plus after trade in as well which is 350€.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2019 ---
    I'm almost 100% sure I'm going for the XS Max now. The features the next gen will provide just aren't that interesting to me and it saves me the hassle of having to deal with pre-orders since I physically have to go to the store to trade in the 8 Plus. Finally, the deal I can get on a brand new XS Max is pretty decent. I'll end up paying 869€ which is less than I paid for my 8 Plus 2 years ago.
  10. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

    Wide opeN

    Aug 27, 2010
    With that said, what are you waiting on LOL!!! What color are you going for!? I have Silver.
  11. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 25, 2017
    I'll get mine tomorrow since I still have to prepare my 8 Plus for the trade in. I originally wanted to go for the silver one but they don't have that one in stock and I won't be able to see the back any way with a case on. So I'm probably going for the space gray one.

    Hows the battery life on yours btw?
  12. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

    Wide opeN

    Aug 27, 2010
    Ever since iPhone 5s, I let whichever color that looks naturally best (IMO) speak to me and get that color for iPhone. With the X/Xs (Max) silver definitely looks best IMO.

    I have a replacement unit (cosmetic defect), and believe it or not the Health is better on it, than the out of the box new one I originally had. I've had it since April and battery health currently still sits at 100% Health.

    Day to Day battery life is solid. But is exceptional with iOS 13 Dark Mode enabled. Before iOS 13, I'd get home in the low 30's/upper 20's. Now since I got on the Public Beta, I get home mid to low 50's/upper 40's.

    Dark Mode is a game changer!!!
  13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Dec 15, 2010
    Wait and review the price options when the new phones are out
  14. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000


    Sep 22, 2015
    Washington, DC
    That sounds like a good deal. You might as well take advantage of it. I have the gold XS Max and love it.
  15. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

    May 20, 2010
    This was my thought as long as the trade in value for the 8+ doesn't drop by more than the price of the Max.
  16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

    ET iPhone Home

    Oct 5, 2011
    Orange County, California USA
    What's 1259 in reference to?
  17. superleakTx macrumors regular

    Dec 28, 2018
    you better wait for the newest phones that will come in 2 months
  18. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    If you're in the market for a new iPhone, just wait for the XI.
  19. Shadowbech macrumors 601

    Oct 18, 2011
    Apple iPhone World
    If your iphone 8 Plus still works, then I'd advise to wait till September and see what Apple has for us for the next generation iphone. It's only a month and 1/2 away from being announced.
  20. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020


    Apr 21, 2004
    I would say wait. 2 months left. You either get a newer phone refresh or a max that can be had for cheaper.
  21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    Wait. One little feature I think would be interesting to see if Apple does incorporate it into the new iPhone this year, would be the ‘reverse charging’ from the iPhone to other products like the AirPods/Apple Watch. I think that would be a stellar feature, I’m not sure that I think I could justify the ‘whole price tag’, but it certainly would be something that would provoke me.
  22. MarkX macrumors 6502


    Sep 10, 2015
    Fochabers, Scotland
    If you're not bothered about camera/minor upgrades then why wait?

    Get the Max now.
  23. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 25, 2017
    I just got my XS Max. Managed to get one for only 869€ brand new which I think is a great deal. I'm already loving the thing so no regrets at the moment. Thanks everyone for the replies!
  24. goldmac2006 macrumors newbie


    Jul 21, 2019
    I would not prefer upgrading, because the iPhone XS Max costs too much than the iPhone 8 Plus. Plus, in iOS 13 there is already lots of great features such as Memoji for all iOS devices and dark mode. I used to have an iPhone SE space grey and then upgraded to an iPhone 7 on the 4th of July. Even the Specialist at my local Apple Store told me that the iPhone 7 and 8 has a small difference between these iPhones.
  25. FFR Suspended


    Nov 4, 2007
    Congrats op, what color did you get?

Share This Page

26 July 18, 2019