Go iLife '09 Now? or wait for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, May 10, 2009.

  1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a


    Jan 26, 2009
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Hey ALL!!

    So, Im on a White 2.4Ghz MacBook.. running Leopard 10.5.6... and soon downloadin' 10.5.7...;)
    i am really interested in getting ilife '09 coz of all its features... and most probably im gonna be gettin snow leopard when it comes out this summer....
    my question is: should i wait for snow leopard?? what i mean is, is ilife '09 gonna be included in OSX 10.6??

    Thanks a lot in advance!!:D
  2. JNB macrumors 604


    Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    iLife is included with the purchase of a new or refurb Mac, not with the OS. Might as well buy it now if you want it.
  3. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    And iLife probably won't be updated till 2010.
  4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020


    Dec 25, 2008
    patches will be released but there won't be a major update until '10

    i would recommend saving your money - however you're not going to get iLife when you buy 10.6 unless you buy a bundle
  5. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 26, 2009
    Caracas, Venezuela
    oh... ok!
    i thought that it comes w/ 10.6...:eek:

    well.... so what do u guyz think is my best option, buy ilife '09 now and then buy SL later this summer.... or wait to buy a bundle like the one they have now "Mac Box"?? btw, i already bought iWork '09 when it first came out this Jan.. and im lovin it...
  6. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Jan 8, 2005
    You might be waiting a while, can't seem them bundling those 3 until the end of 10.6's life or iLife/iWork '10
  7. Carmellom macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2009
    When do you guys think iLife '10 will be released?
  8. revs macrumors regular

    Jun 2, 2008
    iLife is always released in january (i think), or around about then.

    If you want iLife and 10.6, then buy the "Mac Box Set" you get 10.6, iLife and iWork for only $30 more than OS 10.6
  9. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Jan 8, 2005
    Late summer 2010
  10. RMo macrumors 65816


    Aug 7, 2007
    Iowa, USA
    Let's compare some prices:
    • OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" will sell for $29 if you already have 10.5 "Leopard"
    • iWork and iLife each cost $79
    • The current Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" + iWork '09 + iLife '09 Box Set costs $169
    The box set for 10.6 is probably going to cost the same (Amazon.com has it listed for that much), so if you already have iWork, you'd need to pay only $29 + $79 = $108 to get both Snow Leopard and iLife '09, far less than you'd pay for the box set--plus, you can buy iLife '09 separately (for example, now, and then buy Snow Leopard later).

    We don't know when Apple will release newer versions of either iWork or iLife, but both have historically tended to be done in January at the MacWorld Expo (with the exception if iWork and iLife '08, both released during a special August '07 event during which they also introduced the aluminum iMacs). However, Apple is no longer participating in the Expo, so who knows what will happen this year.

    So, here is what I would recommend:

    • If you are absolutely waiting to have the latest versions of iWork and iLife (let's say version '10 will be releases some time next year), then wait to buy the Box Set to get all three products: Snow Leoprd, iWork, and iLife.
    • If you are happy with your current version of iWork, just buy Snow Leopard when it comes out in October. Buy iLife whenever you feel like it: now if you don't care that '09 may become outdated next year, or later if you don't mind waiting in hopes that a new version may (or may not*) be released early next year.

    Oh, and keep in mind that Amazon (or other places) often have lower prices than Apple. For example, iLife is $59.99 on Amazon right now and iWork is $53.49. (This may fluctuate.)

    Hope this helps!

    *I am, unfortunately, quite familiar with "waiting in hopes that a new version may (or may not) be released." Last fall when there were rumors of an aluminum MacBook that was going to be released in September, shortly after the B2S promo ended, I sold my white MacBook in hopes of buying a new aluminum one soon thereafter. I sold my MacBook in mid-August; I was, of course, kept waiting over TWO MONTHS until the end of October (with my iMac G3 as my main** computer...in 2008!). These were the most painful two months of my Apple-related life, especially since I am a student and use my computer for a lot. :)

    **Actually, I had a couple other computers. The most convincing alternative would have been my 2004 PC laptop (still pretty good to this day except it could use a bit more RAM)--but I liked the Mac, even the G3, so much better that I couldn't do it.
  11. Carmellom macrumors member

    Jul 23, 2009
    Yup, Thanks

Share This Page