Go legit and get a free upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drpellypo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. drpellypo macrumors 6502

If I read that right, I could in theory re-lock my current jailbroken phone that's on Orange, sign up to the O2 contract, get a free upgrade to the new iPhone through O2, re-jailbreak my current iPhone, flog it on ebay, and make a load of dosh?

Or did I get confused?

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

free upgrade means you turn in your current iphone for the new one.. free upgrade yes, but no load of cash sorry my friend if only life was soo good ;)

3. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

where does it say that?

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No, you do not need to hand in your old iPhone.
    It says so on O2's site…
    You can give it away or sell it if you want.
    Not sure about the "load of dosh" though… ;)

5. markym07931 macrumors regular

i wish i could.. my iphone is an AT&T one, so, no point in locking it or doing anything.. just hope they can hacktivate/unlock the 2.0 software, so i can use my old one for work, along with the exchnagey stuff...

but also, with the upgrade, you have to be on an iphone contract already, which you're not.. so it seems stupid to sign up to a contract just to get an upgrade, which is the same price as what the new one is anyway..

or is my logic flawed there?

6. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

The only problem being that i'm guessing they would check how long you've had the agreement up and running, so probably wouldn't give it you if you only activated it a month ago.

However if they did, the OFCOM rules on early upgrades state that they would need to put the remainder of your original contract onto your new length term. So if you've had the original iPhone contract running for a month, upgrade to the 3G which makes you take a new 18 month contract, they'll put the 17 months of the original contract on top of the new 18 months, giving you a minimum term contract of 35 months

7. drpellypo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not really that bothered to be honest. I've had the same contract on orange for 14 years!