Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesSmart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I currently don't have an iPad (have wanted one since day one though). Im wondering if I should wait for 3rd gen or get 2nd gen or forget iPad and get my first mac. Any advice? :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It all depends on what your plans are for using either an iPad or a Mac
Both are excellent devices, but they don't do the exact same things
What are your needs?

JamesSmart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Basically just web surfing. I can do the 'major' stuff and flash on my laptop but that is a wee bit slow so a mac would be good to replace my laptop. Am I making sense?

mwjd299

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2003
Santa Maria, CA
It all depends on what your plans are for using either an iPad or a Mac
Both are excellent devices, but they don't do the exact same things
What are your needs?

I agree. What are your plans for using it. If you're in the market for a new home computer, then go with the Mac, either a desktop or laptop.
An iPad is a portable device that can do different things, like iBooks, that is not available for the Mac. iPad would be better for reading.

IMO an iPad would not be a replacement for a computer.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
It's rather hard to give you an advice. I've seen a few who thought they wanted it but ditched it after getting MacBook Air, and I've seen others who thought they didn't need it but now can't live without it and rarely use their big computers/laptops. Give it a try, maybe even a used iPad 1, etc, and see if it fits your wants.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.