Go Pro Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thelongmorrow, Jan 2, 2010.

1. thelongmorrow macrumors member

2. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Did you end up getting it? How have you liked it? I have been looking at this for a while now and I after seeing this video I think I am finally going to spend the money. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3M6EB8kmk

4. elisedriver macrumors newbie

I've had one for about 6 months now - and it'd been great.

The latest firmware update to it had made it better for us Brits, as it can be switched easily between 30 & 25 fps. Plenty of examples of its use on my Youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/elisedriver

Interesting to keep seeing these camera's on TV programmes - the camera has been seen in all the following being used to gather action shots

The Gadget Show
    Fifth Gear
    Top Gear
    James May Man Clinic

Far cheaper to buy in the States than Europe though :(

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I believe I have made up my mind then. I will get it, just when I have the time to go pick it up. I have noticed before that it was like $70 cheaper at Costco compared to their website.

6. elisedriver macrumors newbie

Just make sure you're getting the Hero HD - not just the Hero

7. JRayFilms macrumors newbie

I recently helped shoot with Discovery Channel for a documentary on a handful of action sports in 3D. I helped with the freestyle motocross and they had quite a few of go pros, mount them together and they had a small 3D helmet cam rig, was pretty cool.

8. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

It´s an amazing camera for the price. I have used it on 3 different shows for broadcast in the last 6 months. On the last one we had 6 of them. I´ve put them on everything from BASE jumpers, skiers, Waterskiers, speedriders, cars, fishing rod, kayaks and even under the wing of a small airplane (Cessna 185) to get a nice profile shot of the plane flying over the fjords of Norway.
    AS said before, get the HD version

I didn´t know about the firmware update and always had to transcode to 25p for PAL. I´ll check it out now

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I know that Discovery uses them on the show Deadliest Catch as well for the mounted cameras.

I can't wait to get one.

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So I am about to order the GoPro HD Hero. There are a few different options, I am getting it at Costco so they only have the helmet setup one. Can anyone tell me please what comes withe the helmet setup?

11. elisedriver macrumors newbie

Should be a list on the GoPro website

Don't forget all the 'little' bits can be bought of eBay etc etc. You won't get the suction mount, which is brilliant for motorsport - but if the price saving is enough, then you can buy that later if you need it.

/ have just bought the handlebar mount, which now appears to have limited use on my particular mountain bike.

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have look on the GoPro website and it lists everything it comes with just not exactly what it does, it is kinda confusing. The mounts I really just want are ones I can mount to bars, for example a bike, and maybe a helmet one. I think I got it though.

13. elisedriver macrumors newbie

Well I'm certain you have at least one sticky mount that can be used to mount it to a helmet.

I have one of the curved mounts on my X-Lite full face helmet for when I'm doing trackdays / motorsports

I have one of the flat mounts on my cycle helmet for push bike stuff

My elise has a harness bar - onto which I have a standard hague superclamp which is designed for full size camera kit - but I can also use that for mounting the Go Pro, as again one of the small sticky flat mounts goes onto it nicely.

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It sasys it comes with: 1 HD HERO Camera (5 megapixel)
    1 Rechargeable 1100 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery
    1 Waterproof Quick-Release Housing (180’/60 m)
    1 Headlamp-Style Head Strap
    1 Vented Helmet Strap
    2 Curved, 3M™ Adhesive Mounts
    2 Flat, 3M Adhesive Mounts
    1 Three-Way Pivoting Side Arm Assembly
    2 Quick-Release Buckles
    1 USB Cable
    1 Component Video (HDTV) Cable
    1 Composite Video + Audio Out Cable
    Warranty: One Year

Is one of those something that will mount to a bar?

15. elisedriver macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Well it certainly doesn't come with a handlebar mount, but you may be able to jig up with one of the straps.

The pic is the official handlebar mount which I just got from a local dealer on eBay. End of the day, you'll be happier with the proper mount as the footage should be better - plus you should have a little reassurance that your expensive camera isnt about to go flying off.

16. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would much rather use the the actual mount. That is pretty dumb it doesn't just come with at least one.

How much did you pay for that on eBay?

17. elisedriver macrumors newbie

I hate to say it, but I paid full whack - as I wanted it for the next day.

£19.99 GBP

18. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It is only $19.99 here in the U.S., which actually isn't that cheap but cheaper than £19.99 GBP.

I'm going to order the camera and the mount as well. I'm getting excited.