Go Pro for a Wedding?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by I AM THE MAN, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey everybody! Recently I got tasked with photographing a friend's wedding. However, all of a sudden, the videographer couldn't make it and worst case scenario I might need to do both.

My first idea was to just set up my spare DSLR (Canon T3 with an IS Lens) on a tripod.

My second idea was to get a Go Pro and play around with that.

What are your opinions? Possible to do both? Thanks in advance for your answers!

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Honestly, neither sounds like a good idea. If I were just going to throw a camera on a tripod in order to worry about photography duties, then I'd much rather depend on a dedicated video camera. Also, what would you do about audio?

3. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

Go Pro to shoot a wedding?

not a good idea. Respect your clients day. It could be used to capture a unique angle, but not as a main camera.

And simply throwing a cam on sticks to record video isnt a good choice either.. and yes, what about audio?

If anything, if you were to capture a moment on video.. then focus on the vows. But again, double duty is asking for problems.

I would ask around and get someone to shoot the video.. so you can focus on the photos.

Its better to have the photos be handled properly, rather than splitting the quality across photo/video.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Tell them absolutely not.

It's not about whether or not the video is any good. They can say "we don't care that much about the video" all they want. Tell them it's about making the photographs worse. You can't split your attention without negative consequences.

I've video taped about 200 weddings and photographed 1. Believe me when I say that I would not have wanted any crossover in either direction.

Short of them finding someone else to do it, give your T3 to an uncle and tell him to get what he can. It won't be good, but at least your photos will be.

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

you'll get better pictures from the dslr, but you'll have to keep an eye out for it, if it switches off due to it's recording limit (or overheating).

as handsome pete said: neither is a really good idea. you won't be able to cut anything, because you'll only get one shot length this way. also, audio won't be usable.

you could get someone who knows what he's doing to operate the cam. if you want to do more than a clip show cut to music, position some recording device, mic, etc.. near the couple.

or you could put the dslr on a tripod for a fixed shot and record some different shot lengths in between your photographs (say 10sec. length each - countdown in your head) to have some material for editing.

or, get the gopro, position it for a wide angle (but use the normal FOV setting to avoid that fisheye look) and position the dslr for a closer shot of the couple. position both cameras so that the horizontal angles of the shots are at least 30 degrees apart. e.g. in a church you could position the gopro on the balcony looking down and the dslr on an angle behind the altar, to get something like a full or medium shot of the couple.

get people to play around with the gopro before and afterwards to get some additional footage, maybe do some shots with your main dslr (establishing the location with a wide shot, close ups of the parents, guests arriving, throwing of the bouquet, wedding cake, etc....). keep in mind, that the gopro's battery won't last longer than an hour, so get a spare one (or the battery backpack, that'll double your recording time).

still, you'll either have to sacrifice a few photo-oppurtunities to get a decent video or have a pretty boring video that only cuts between two fixed angles. i'd rather concentrate doing either video or photography than doing both half-assed.

6. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I completely agree - do not under any circumstances do both - it will have a detrimental impact on everything.

I own a wedding photography company & a wedding videography company & we keep them completely separate. I have personally been filming & photographing weddings for over 10 years full time & even I wouldn't do both unless absolutely necessary (ie. staff members with the flu etc.).

7. steve123 macrumors regular

If you want a great angle using the GoPro, hide it in the bride's bouquet.

8. akhilleus macrumors member

Speaking to the GoPro specifically - it's a great camera for certain situations, and a wedding is NOT one of them. There is a lighting range that the GoPro is optimal for, and lowlight is not one of them. It has a f/2.8 lens which is reasonably fast, but at that f-stop and low of light, it's very grainy. The footage would look better from an iPhone to be honest. If it's an outdoor wedding and it's going to be sunny, you MIGHT be able to get away with it, but my answer is still NO - don't do it.