Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenaudio

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Europe
Hi Video Makers,

I am interested in buying a Go Pro HD Cam - mainly for making music videos like sitting behind the drums and recording what's being played in front:)....Maybe also for Kitesurfing and for Running.

My Question concerning the Go Pro HD Cam is if it makes sense to buy the newer one HD2 or if the older one is great enough for recording sports...

Thanks a lot - I appreciate your time!!

K.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Had Hero1, now Hero2.
Cant go back.
Only way is if I need multiple and in a pinch.
Hero2 way better for low-light and the lens options are awesome.
Then add the WiFi which runs great :)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Just a heads up, the sound quality on the Go Pro 2 is pretty bad, so you will need something something else to record the sound. In good light, the video I got from when GoPro 2 when on holiday recently actually rivalled my Canon 600D with stock lens.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
SoundZ!

Thats the one thing Ive never had to deal with as far as any GoPro shooting.
Most of the time the unit is in the water proof case.
Ive even used it live on stage mounted on my Start and on a bass drum.
I would suggest using a separate audio recording feed for live stage stuff :)
Audio maybe bad but the video noise level and low-light shooting blows away the older version.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I own an original Hero HD, and my biggest complaint is its poor low light performance. Second biggest gripe was battery life, but the BackPack battery solved that. :) And maybe it's just my particular unit, but even in full sunlight I never feel like the video is as sharp as it ought to be.

But it sounds like the HD2 has these shortcomings licked. If so, don't waste your time on a second thought - go with the HD2. :cool:

Kenaudio

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Europe
Hi there and thanks a lot so far for sharing your experience with me!!!!
I think I will go for the HD 2;)

Concerning this:
Then add the WiFi which runs great :)
What does it mean? Sounds interesting to me;)!

Cheers!!!
Keno

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
What does it mean? Sounds interesting to me;)!

Cheers!!!
Keno
The new Hero 2 has an Wifi option.
You can buy the backpack and controller then buy more backpacks so that the single controller can deal with multiple cameras.
Only works with Hero 2 though.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hey folks,

I'm in no way affiliated with CrumplePop, but I've bought a few of their other plugins.

They just released:

http://www.crumplepop.com/fisheyefixer/

It fixes the fisheye distortion from GoPro cameras!

I'm jacked although I use a Drift Innovation HD170 so I've left a message for them to see if the effect would work on my footage (the Drift simply fits my head better for how i use my headcam otherwise, I'd probably have a GoPro).

Enjoy!
Keebler

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020

phillies262834

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I have the HD Hero 1 and i have been very pleased with it. The only drawbacks i have had with it is the low light and crappy sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.