god damn apple bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sokjin, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sokjin macrumors newbie

im either a serious noob at understanding how this bootcamp works or its just not working !!1
    im ready to throw my macbook at the freakin wall..

i need to install windows because the mac os wont allow me to stream .wmv embedded on websites

so i have tried to install windows xp but it says you need sp2 or greater with bootcamp 3.0

i bought windows 7 but now it says you need bootcamp 3.1

ive been trying to find a MAC version of bootcamp 3.1.dmg but theres only .exe on the apple download page!!!!!!

wtf am i doing wrong how do i update my bootcamp ?????????

if i just insert the cd into my dvd all i get when i reboot is this question mark folder flashing alkjdlaskekjahslejhalse

please help me someone

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, I’ve never seen so many offensive phrases in a completely pointless post before. You couldn’t open .wmv’s, so instead of doing the intelligent thing and finding the easily available solution which would have taken 5 seconds of Google, you went for the hardest possible route, and then proceeded to subject us to cursing and otherwise offensive post content just because your poorly chosen solution was too hard for you to pull off.

Seriously, dude. Get over it.

jW

3. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

there is one curse word ("ass") in his post...

Have you tried wmv player? I downloaded that and wmv videos open fine in a web browser just like they do with quicktime.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

To the OP: Dont swear or be homophobic just because you are incompetent and cant manage to do something. If you want to get help, dont be rude. (Also, I take offence to things being described as "gay ass" - thats not negative in my not-so humble opinion). Also, maybe you should try updating your Mac to the latest version (10.6.4) because if its running Leopard, Windows 7 wont work pretty much, or at least not in my experience.

5. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

I think you answered your own question, you're a noob, and an angry childish one at that. LOL @ first response. Epic

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Agreed :D - I just wish we had a little sorta "ker-ching. End of Round NOOB" button that would alert the OP - kindve like the "poke" feature of Facebook, just more MacRumors oriented :D

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's amazing, first there's all this cursing and nasty thread titles, then "please help me". I'd sooner not.

8. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

lol sorry if i was acting childish i was very frustrated...

i have done everything you guys have mentioned

i have updated my os to the latest version and i have tried downloaded wmv player as well as several other applications (eg flip4mac) that help run .wmv files

but it just doesnt work for this site www.dabdate.com

and i would appreciate some help !

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

10. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that its a nifty app but unfortunately it does not work :(

i wonder how everyone else who cant stream embedded wmv do, for me getting the source code and downloading it and viewing isnt really an option because my internet cuts out

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) set up partition on your drive with Bootcamp Assistant from your MacOs
    2) install Windows 7 on said partition
    3) launch Windows 7
    4) run Bootcamp 3.1 from within Windows to update drivers

12. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your advice i have tried to do so but when it reboots it just goes really weird as in flashing question mark folder sign

my hardware is the latest macbook air with a external dvd writer

13. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

also i have tried to fiddle with the flip4mac settings and allow it to open in quicktime but i get an error

"OSstatus error 403" i tried googling it but there doesnt seem to be much information available on it would anyone here know what it means?

14. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Flip4Mac should work fine in Quicktime and on your browser when used to view .wmv content without the need to mess with settings at all. Maybe it's a problem with the one site itself. If you don't think so, I'd suggest uninstalling and re-installing Flip4Mac and seeing if that helps.

15. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

you are right it is a problem with the site itself.

it is very picky even in windows which browser it has to use eg only uses internet explorer..

unfortunately i would love to avoid this site if there were an alternative but that is not the case :(

i was just hoping perhaps there may be another way around this without having to resolve in bootcamping into windows 7 because i really do enjoy the mac os despite some problems

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I know it is frustrating when you can't get something to work properly. But a word of advice--don't rush into the first solution that hits you. As some have said, your solution was the most difficult for a relatively simple problem--playing WMV files. I needed to do that and easily found the solution with Flip4Mac--give it a try:

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

17. sokjin thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you bob for your help, unfortunately flip4mac was the very first application i have tried it comes up with a 403 number and if i change the setting so that it opens it up in quicktime then it comes upw ith a OSstatus error 403